Light, crispy and delicious Mini Caprese Tarts are an effortless and incredibly delicious appetizer or light snack. These little tarts have the perfect flavor combo of fresh tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and crispy, buttery pastry.
Easy peasy Caprese! These little, fluffy pillows of cheesy puff pastry make for a great appetizer or party snack. They come together quickly and only need a handful of ingredients. Topped with fresh basil, they are utterly addictive, make a big batch!
Why these mini tarts are so good
- 30 mins from pantry to table, with only a few ingredients needed. The perfect last minute party snack or app.
- Uses packaged puff pastry for extra ease, just cut, layer and bake!
- Satisfying and fresh – sometimes simple is best!
- Perfect to prep ahead of time.
- Puff Pastry Dough – use your favorite brand. Pillsbury works great.
- Tomatoes – roma tomatoes work great and cook well.
- Mozzarella – go for fresh and whole milk if possible.
How to make these mini tarts
Be sure to scroll down for full recipe
Roll out dough and cut out circles, place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Then, on each pastry circle, layer tomato, fresh basil and mozzarella. Bake for 12-15 mins. Enjoy!
What is Caprese?
Caprese salad is a classic and traditional salad consisting of mozzarella and tomatoes from Capri, Italy.
You really can’t go wrong with creamy whole milk mozzarella and juicy fresh tomatoes, it just tastes delicious!
I added a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar for a little zing, fresh basil leaves, and buttery puff pastry.
The end result is a simple yet incredibly flavorful tart everyone is sure to love!
Cooking with Mozzarella
Mozzarella can contain a lot of liquid so to stop the pastry becoming soggy when the tarts bake it’s best to dry the mozzarella using kitchen paper.
You just need to pat it dry gently to get rid of any excess moisture.
Can I prep these mini tarts ahead of time?
You can easily prep these mini Caprese tarts in advance. They keep well at room temperature for a few hours but can also be made 1-2 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge (in an airtight container).
They can be served at room temperature or reheated in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
Storing mini tarts
The Caprese tarts will store well in the fridge for 2-3 days although the pastry may turn a little soggy the longer they are left.
Leftovers can also be frozen in suitable containers.
- Make sure to buy puff pastry for this recipe (ready rolled makes it even easier).
- Roma tomatoes work best for this recipe but you can use any fresh tomatoes you like.
- Whole milk mozzarella has the best flavor.
- Don’t be tempted to use dried basil as it won’t give the same fresh flavor.
More fun appetizers you might like
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Homemade Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- Easy Soft Pretzel Bites
- Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
Have you tried these Mini Tarts? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!