Copycat McDonald’s Strawberry and Cream Mini Pies are the perfect breakfast or sweet treat! Crispy, crumbly pastry encasing a fresh strawberry and cream cheese filling makes a delicious combination.
Strawberry Hand Pies Recipe
I am not a big fast-food fan, but you know what? I have two obsessions that I just can’t live without. Egg White Delights and Strawberry Cream Mini Pies–both from McDonald’s.
This recipe is my take on those addictive pies, and they came out better and healthier, IMO! They make the most delicious desserts.
Why you’ll love these Strawberry and Cream Hand Pies:
- The taste: This delicious copycat version of the Mcdonald’s classic sweet treat is fruity and sweet.
- The Simplicity: Mini pies are easy to make, with only six ingredients.
- The versatility: These pies are great for dessert, breakfast, or even a snack.
- Pre-made refrigerated pie crust – I used Pillsbury, but you can make your own (see recipe card for homemade crust recipe).
- Strawberries – hulled and chopped. You can use fresh or frozen.
- Cream cheese – I went for low-fat; make sure it is softened.
- Egg – or egg white. I love Just Whites.
- Vanilla extract
- Sugar -divided.
Trademark note: In the spirit of transparency, please note that some of these ingredients are trademarked products. McDonald’s, Pillsbury, and Just Whites are proprietary brands that I want to acknowledge and give credit to.
How to make these Mini Pies
- Blend the strawberries and sugar in a food processor.
- Add to a bowl with cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla.
- Cut the pie crust into squares and add a spoonful of the berry mixture onto half of the squares.
- Top with the remaining pastry squares and seal with a fork.
- Bake and serve.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
What is a McDonald’s Strawberry and Cream Pie?
If you’ve never seen these mini pies, don’t feel bad. They’re not available all the time or in all McDonald’s locations. This sweet treat from the Golden Arches, is a hand pie, a less-familiar cousin of the classic McDonald’s Apple Pie.
It features a layer of strawberry filling alongside a layer of vanilla-flavored creme. The crust has a light layer of sugar baked on, and they are so addictively sweet, tangy, creamy, and delicious.
Since they can be hard to find, I decided to make my own, and lo, they are awesome!
How Difficult Are These to Make?
The filling is easy as pie–literally. Just combine the filling ingredients and it’s ready to load into the crust. It’s amazing and flavorful– and what more could you ask for in summer, especially when strawberries are in season?
My friend Kelly has a total weakness for these too. Even on diet weeks, we can’t help but say yes to one of these bad boys. But this recipe beats those cravings!
Can I Use Store-Bought Crust?
You don’t have to make the crust from scratch, though there is a recipe for that included in the recipe card. If you use a store-bought crust, go for a refrigerated one, not a frozen one.
The frozen crust isn’t designed to be removed from the package and rolled out as a pastry. It will crumble if you try to do that, so stick with the refrigerated type!
Check out these other sweet treats
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Brownies from Scratch
- Oatmeal Cream Pie Bars
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!