Chocolate Sugar Cookies are my go-to easy cookie recipe! This Fluffy Sugar Cookie Recipe has a crinkly sugar crust and has added chocolate chunks for ultimate decadence. This Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe is a classic, using Crisco, to make them extra fluffy and fool-proof. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried these Chocolate Sugar Cookies!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies are the ultimate sugar cookie recipe!
These Chocolate Sugar Cookies have me dreaming of the holidays. I know it’s not yet Thanksgiving, but I already have CHRISTMAS COOKIES on the brain! I have a favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe that we have used time and time again, but this Double Chocolate version has quickly become a favorite. Chocolate fan for life!
There’s just never enough time to eat all the sweet treats during the holiday season, and for a food blogger and major foodie there is no better time of year. I feel like I’ve conquered many things in the kitchen, but baking still seems a little bit scary from time to time.
I love learning new tricks to make it a breeze and create delicious recipes that people crave time and time again. These incredible DOUBLE CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES are my new obsession and I may or may not be making them every week up until Christmas (and most likely even in January. My New Year’s Resolutions don’t stand a chance!).
The key to making these amazing Double Chocolate Sugar Cookies oh so light and fluffy is CRISCO® All-Vegetable Shortening!
Bakers already know that Crisco helps to create the ultimate baked good. Using Crisco results in thick, light textured cookies with almost zero spread in the oven. You can trust where you place them is where they’ll end up, and I love that. Just perfect for someone still learning like me, because you know I’ve had so many batches in the past all meld into one giant pan cookie :).
You can see the differences in butter versus Crisco below. It’s pretty amazing. These Double Chocolate Sugar Cookies have such an incredible texture and flavor, I cannot wait for you to try them at home. There’s a place for all butter sugar cookies (I think they work great for cut out cookies!) but this Fluffy Sugar Cookie Recipe is perfect as is. We love Crisco Cookies!
Tips for making Chocolate Sugar Cookies:
Pro tip in making your Double Chocolate Sugar Cookies extra pretty and perfect for handing out to friends and family??? Add some chocolate chunks to the top right after they come out of the oven. It makes Chocolate Sugar Cookies look finished, polished, and adds that extra punch of chocolate. You know I can never say no to more chocolate. And why should I? These are to die for!
How to make a Fluffy Sugar Cookie Recipe:
To recap, using Crisco in place of butter in your fave holiday baked goods results in a light and fluffy texture that just can’t be beat, and cookies have less spread in the oven which is just an added bonus! You can almost always sub in Crisco 1:1 for butter in your recipes, SO EASY. 50% less saturated fat than butter. Say what?! Yep. Get on it friends!
If you haven’t tried Chocolate Sugar Cookies, today is the day!
We just simply can’t get enough of these Chocolate Sugar Cookies. If cocoa isn’t your thing (what?!) be sure to check out our Strawberry Cookies, S’mores Cookies, or Orange Cranberry Shortbread Cookies! Baking made easy, I promise!
See the recipe card below for details on How to Make Chocolate Sugar Cookies. Enjoy!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Sugar Cookies are my go-to easy cookie recipe! This Fluffy Sugar Cookie Recipe has a crinkly sugar crust and has added chocolate chunks for ultimate decadence. This Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe is a classic, using Crisco, to make them extra fluffy and fool-proof. You haven't lived until you've tried these Chocolate Sugar Cookies!
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco shortening room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk chocolate chunks plus more for garnish
- 1 cup course turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt). Be sure it is fully combined. Set aside.
- Fit your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat the crisco and sugar on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla and egg and continue to beat on medium/high until fully combined and fluffy.
- Switch the mixer to low/medium and slowly add in the flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing it to become smooth before adding more. Once all the flour mixture is added, add in the chocolate chunks and beat on low until they're fully incorporated.
- Pour the turbinado sugar into a medium sized bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and roll all sides in the turbinado sugar. Place on a baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the dough, with 2 inches between each cookie. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten each cookie to your liking. Don't make them too flat, you want them about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the top puffs up slightly and begins to crack.
- Remove from the oven and add more chocolate chunks to the top as shown if desired. Allow to cool on a cooling rack fully before serving.