The BEST Sugar Cookie Recipe (aka Santa’s favorite cookies) are soft sugar cutout cookies, festively decorated with sweet icing. This Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe checks all the boxes! We call this easy sugar cookie recipe SANTA’S FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPE because it’s simple, classic, fluffy, and delicious. We love to decorate them with the kids to leave under the tree for Santa.
Best Sugar Cookie Recipe – Santa’s Favorite Cookie!
This is the best sugar cookie recipe! We call it Santa’s favorite cookie because we know he’d love them just as much as we do!
Santa’s Favorite Cookies has been debated for the past….1500 years or so. Santa has been treating kids, and in return, he receives the best cookies under the tree. Cookies come in all shapes and forms, but Santa has to have a favorite, right? I happen to think this easy sugar cookie recipe with powdered sugar icing is his favorite, and why wouldn’t it be?!
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe is made with love, it’s fluffy and delicious, and it’s oh so simple. I know when he rolls up under our tree this Christmas, he will be pretty darn excited to get the Best Sugar Cookies, made by this cute little 9-month-old, Henry Liam.
Bake the Best Sugar Cookie Recipe with your little ones this Christmas. These easy sugar cookies are sure to be Santa’s Favorite Cookies!
Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe the whole family can make!
The best sugar cookie recipe is so easy to make, that everyone can join in on this one. Kids always want to help bake cookies for Santa, and with this easy sugar cookie recipe, there’s no reason they can’t.
This was the first time Henry has tasted a cookie let alone helped MAKE a cookie. We went over to Doozie’s house because no one makes better cookies than Grandma. To say Henry was having a great time would be a major understatement. He “helped” as much as he could, licked as much sugar as he could, and was in heaven.
When little children help make cookies for Santa…I have to think those are his favorite. And when they’re made with CRISCO® All-Vegetable Shortening meaning less spread in the oven, thick fluffy cookies, and unbelievable flavor; you just KNOW they’re his favorite.
You might remember me working with Crisco last month on my favorite Double Chocolate Sugar Cookies. They’re a great variation of a classic but you just can’t beat the original. MMM!
What are the ingredients in sugar cookies?
Sugar cookies require basic ingredients that you probably already have at home if you like to bake. This easy sugar cookie recipe requires the following ingredients:
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening
- Pillsbury All-Purpose Flour
How do you make sugar cookies from scratch?
Baking anything from scratch always seems a bit daunting at first, but don’t worry, making this sugar cookie recipe is easy!
Just follow these steps to make the best sugar cookie recipe:
- Gather your ingredients (listed above)
- Beat sugar & shortening with a mixer in large bowl
- Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract
- Combine baking powder, salt, & flour, then gradually add into mixture
- Let the dough chill for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Roll the dough on floured surface into 1/8 in thick
- Cut the dough with cookie cutters
- Place cookies onto baking sheets 1-inch apart
- Bake 5-9 minutes
This fun and easy sugar cookie recipe really is simple to make!
For full details and instructions, please see the recipe card below.
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe to make this Holiday season
This Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe is always a huge hit. You should have seen how this baby was going after these cookies. I’ve created a monster. But his mother is a food blogger so it is what it is. I love my little cookie monster.
Once you taste the best sugar cookie recipe, you’ll know why they’re Santa’s Favorite Cookie. Do Santa a favor this Christmas and make him a batch. Doesn’t he deserve it?!
The kids are gonna love this easy sugar cookie recipe just as much as Santa does! I know you guys will have so much fun making them.
See the recipe card below for details on How to Make The BEST Sugar Recipe EVER. Enjoy!
If you loved the best sugar cookie recipe, you’ll love these other cookie recipes too:
- S’mores Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Santa’s Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe
For the Cookies
- 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Icing
- 4 c. Powdered Sugar - sifted
- 3 T. Corn Syrup
- 3 T. Milk or water
- 1/2 t. Almond Extract - can use Vanilla Extract
- Food coloring
- 1/4 c corn syrup and 1/4 c. water mixed together and set aside
- Beat shortening and sugar in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Gradually add to shortening mixture on low speed until blended. Divide dough into three pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Roll 1 piece of dough at a time on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough with 2 to 3-inch floured cookie cutters. Place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 5 to 9 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
For the Icing
- Sift the powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Combine the corn syrup, milk (or water), and flavoring.
- Turn the mixer on low until everything is moist - scrape the bowl often.
- Turn the mixer to medium and mix until everything is well blended and smooth.
- (a little more syrup/water mixture might be needed at this point)
- DECORATING TIP: We don't have the white and red stripes touch because they'll eventually bleed into each other as the cookies sit. I love the separated stripes for a fun and clean look!