Christmas Cookies are my favorite thing to make during the holiday season. These EASY Christmas Cookie recipes are so simple and so much fun to bake! Whether you’re looking for something traditional, or something unique and fun, I’ve got some of the best Christmas cookie ideas to help you celebrate the season. So pick your favorite holiday cookie recipes, gather your ingredients, and enjoy these homemade holiday cookies!
I can’t believe Christmas is already on its way! It always seems to sneak up on me, even though I’m planning for it months in advance. There are a lot of great things about this holiday, but if I’m honest, making Christmas Cookies might be my FAVORITE part.
It’s so much fun to bake xmas cookies with the family this time of year, and it’s even more fun to indulge in the delicious holiday cookies once they’re done!
Whether you’re baking some cookies for a Christmas party, for Christmas gifts, for a holiday cookie exchange, for Santa, or for you and your family to enjoy, everyone needs an easy Christmas cookie recipe (or two or three).
Best Holiday Cookie Recipes
I’m rounding up ALL of the easy Christmas cookies I’ve made over the years. Yes, EASY. Because baking is only fun as long as it’s simple, right?
From the more traditional Christmas cookies to the more unique ones, I’ve got them all.
You’ll find chocolate cookies, sugar cookies, snowball cookies, and even some gluten-free cookies. Find cute and fun holiday cookies the kids will love, as well as all the classics you love.
With all of the best Christmas cookie ideas here, you’re sure to find at least a few that you love. So pick your favorite recipe, gather the family, and start baking!
If you’re going to make cookies, you’re definitely going to need these basic kitchen tools and equipment.
- Cookie Sheets
- Electric Mixer or Standup Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
- Cooling Rack
- Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Cookie Cutters
Ingredients for Christmas Cookies
These are just some of the typical ingredients you’ll need to make holiday cookies. If you’re planning to do a lot of baking, stock up on all this stuff so that you have plenty.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Confectioner’s Sugar (aka powdered sugar)
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
Tips for Baking the Best Christmas Cookies
Baking can be tedious, but these EASY Christmas cookies are simple enough for anyone to make. Even the kids can help with some of these to make it a family affair.
Here are some of my top tips for making the best holiday cookies, no matter which recipe you choose.
- Fully preheat the oven before putting cookies in to bake.
- Use this baking conversions chart to make adjustments to any of these Christmas cookie recipes, if needed.
- Line baking sheet/tray with parchment paper to prevent sticking and make clean-up easier.
- Check this post if you want to cut your recipe in half.
- Don’t overmix cookie dough. It will lead to tough, flat, dense cookies.
- Cookies will harden as they cool, so don’t be fooled if the cookies still look a little soft in the center.
- Make cookies a uniform size so that they bake evenly. Otherwise you’ll end up with some undercooked and some overcooked.
- Cookies will bake best on the center rack. If you need to cook multiple batches at the same time, rotate baking sheets during the cooking time.
- Measure ingredients accurately for best results. A slight difference can make a big difference.
- Don’t place cookies too close together on the baking sheet. 1-2 inches is good spacing to make sure they bake/brown evenly.
52+ Holiday Cookie Recipes
These recipes are easy, delicious, and so much fun to make! Whether you’re looking for something classic, something fun and unique, something chocolatey, or something the kids can help bake, there’s an Xmas cookie idea here for you. These cookies are just perfect for the holiday season!
Traditional Christmas Cookies
These are all of the most classic holiday cookies! These are sure to be a hit at every Christmas gathering.
Chocolate Christmas Cookies
If you love chocolate, these are the best cookies to bake this Christmas. No one can resist a rich, chocolatey cookie!
Unique Christmas Cookie Ideas
If you want to try something different this holiday season, try one of these fun holiday cookie recipes!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
There’s nothing quite as good as the perfect chocolate chip cookie for Christmas. We’ve got all kinds to choose from, including gluten-free options, and unique recipes.
More Christmas Cookie Ideas
If you’re looking for even more cookie recipes, check some of these favorites over on our sister site, Easy Dessert Recipes!
- Chocolate Crunch Bar Cookies
- Banana Pudding Cookies
- Sprinkle Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Chocolate Madeleines
- White Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
How to Store Christmas Cookies
The best way to store Christmas cookies really depends on the cookie. You can find specific information about storing each of the holiday cookies in the individual recipe posts. However, most of these cookies can be stored similarly in order to make them last.
Tips for Storing Cookies:
- Homemade Christmas cookies should be stored in an airtight container or resealable bag in order to keep them fresh.
- At room temperature, most of these cookies will keep anywhere from 1-3 weeks.
- Soft cookies will become stale much faster, while hard cookies will keep longer.
- Let cookies cool completely before storing them.
If you want to make cookies ahead of time, or store cookies for a longer period of time, you can freeze them instead.
- Place cookies in a freezer safe container/bag in a single layer.
- Place a layer of parchment paper between each layer of cookies to keep them from sticking together.
- In the freezer, most cookies can last up to 3 months.
Check individual recipes for specific storage instructions.
Yes! Cookies are a great thing to make ahead of time, and so many of these recipes are simple to make. Check the storage tips above for keeping and freezing holiday cookies. Each recipe should have more info for how long they’ll last.
Some of the most popular/traditional Christmas cookies are gingerbread cookies, shortbread cookies, sugar cookies, and butter cookies. These are simple, easy to make, and super classic.
When it comes to baking cookies for Santa, you can’t go wrong with chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, or something festive like gingerbread.
Cookie sheets are ideal for most types of cookies, but some recipes might suggest a different type of pan to use. Jelly roll pans (rimmed cookie sheets) usually work as well. I like using non-stick pans so I don’t have to worry about sticking.
The edges should be set/firm and not doughy. The cookie should also be lightly browned. They will harden and brown further after taking them out of the oven, so don’t worry if the center doesn’t look fully done yet.
Cookies will keep at room temperature, but should be stored in an airtight container or resealable bag. If they’re left out (not in a container), they will dry out and become hard pretty quickly. They’ll still be safe to eat, but they won’t be very fresh.
If you want to decorate any of these cookies for the holidays, use any of your favorite ingredients. Colorful icings, sprinkles, and candies are perfect for decorating sugar, butter, or gingerbread cookies!
Making Homemade Christmas Cookies as Gifts
Homemade cookies make a great Christmas gift for family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, teachers, etc. Basically, anyone in your life would appreciate getting some fresh-baked holiday cookies!
If you have a long list of people on your gift list, here’s some tips:
- Make a big batch of cookies! I usually choose one super easy cookie and double or triple the recipe when I’m preparing tons of cookies. Shortbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and sugar cookies are great for gifts.
- You can make these holiday cookies ahead of time, so they’re ready to wrap and give when you see the people on your list. You could even just make the dough to freeze, then bake and wrap a batch right before gifting them.
- Get creative with your cookie gift wrapping (here’s some fun ideas from Martha Stewart), or keep it simple with mini bags, some ribbon, and a gift tag.
I hope you guys found the perfect holiday cookies to make this year. I’d love to hear which easy Christmas cookie recipe you chose to make and how you liked them. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Best Holiday Cookie Recipe
A classic Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe is a must for the holiday season. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and I’ve heard it’s Santa’s favorite cookie…You can make any shapes you like (candy canes, snowmen, Christmas trees), and decorate them however you like. These Christmas sugar cookies are just perfect!