HOMEMADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP is the ultimate comfort food! This easy chicken noodle soup recipe is made right in your kitchen, and it tastes like home. Learning how to make chicken noodle soup is simple; so much easier than I thought! Make a pot of this soup to warm you up all winter long!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup is the ultimate comfort food, perfect for cold winter days or any time you’re feeling a bit under the weather. This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is so easy and so delicious!
If you’re looking for comfort food during this cold weather, nothing beats a big bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup! It’s what we all want when we are sick, the meal that makes us all feel like we are at home, and the perfect end to any long day.
This is the best chicken noodle soup recipe I’ve ever had, and it always makes me feel better. I’ve always been intimidated to make it on my own, but its so much easier than I thought. You can have it in front of you ready to devour in under an hour with little to no stress at all. Sound good? I know it does to me!
Make a big pot of this homemade chicken noodle soup, freeze it, and you can easily reheat a bowl of soup any time you need it throughout the season. Keep it on hand for sick days, or any day you need a quick and comforting pick me up.
Nothing brings comfort and warmth like a big bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup! Learn how to make chicken noodle soup with this easy recipe, and you’ll always have some around when you need it.
BEST Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This is Mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup recipe (from Simply Sated), and anytime Mom makes something, you know it’s good! This takes me back to being young and under the weather and being taken care of. Adulting isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. Where are the people to cook for us when we are sick?! Pat certainly isn’t going to. Luckily I can make this easy Chicken Noodle Soup for myself. My kind of recipe!
This soup is hearty, delicious, and so full of flavor. The BEST chicken noodle soup recipe I’ve ever had. You don’t need to leave your house to make it or order it from a restaurant. Too yummy not to try! Don’t you just want to curl up under a blanket, heat up some of this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, and watch some reality tv? Well I know I do. Pat disagrees about the last part, but it’s my guilty pleasure. SORRY!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
A bowl of hot chicken noodle soup is such a classic, something we should all know how to make at home. It’s a simple thing to make, but it all starts with the ingredients. We need the BEST of the best to go into this recipe; all the right vegetables, all the right herbs. That’s what makes it taste so good, obviously!
What to Put in Chicken Noodle Soup:
- Egg Noodles
- Celery Stalks
- Yellow Onion
- Chicken Broth
- Dry Sherry
- Bonnes Herbs
- Bay Leaves
- Unsalted Butter
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
Now that we’ve got the best ingredients, it’s time to make this amazing homemade chicken noodle soup recipe! It’s a simple process that only takes about 1 hour…easy enough that you could make it yourself when you’re under the weather.
- Start by peeling, slicing, dicing, etc. all of your ingredients according to the ingredient list in the recipe card
- Heat oil & butter in a soup pot, then add carrots & celery and saute 3 minutes
- Then add onions and continue cooking, followed by adding garlic
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except noodles) into the pot
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer for 30-40 minutes
- Add noodles to the pot & bring to a boil, then reduce heat & simmer 20-25 minutes
Hot, fresh chicken noodle soup is ready to serve! It tastes so good with some crusty bread crumbled crackers. See the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
Recommended Products to make Chicken Noodle Soup
Can you freeze Chicken Noodle Soup?
Yes! This homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is super easy to freeze and save for later use. This is such a great recipe to make early in the winter, and save it to reheat throughout the season, especially for unexpected sick days!
How to freeze chicken noodle soup:
- Follow the recipe up until before you add the noodles (step 6 in the recipe card below).
- Add all ingredients, boil the soup and let it simmer, but DON’T add the noodles yet.
- Let the soup cool to room temperature, then you can pour the soup into freezer-safe containers (it works best to freeze the soup in individual-sized portions). The chicken noodle soup will keep in the freezer for up to a few months.
- When you’re ready to eat the soup, just pull it out of the freezer and reheat it on the stove top. Add the noodles at this point, and simmer until the noodles are fully cooked.
There’s nothing like a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup, and this is by far the best recipe. It’s so warm, so comforting, and so delicious! Plus it’s easy to make and save to eat throughout the winter season. I hope you all love it as much as I do!
See the recipe card below for details on how to make Chicken Noodle Soup. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, try these other soup recipes too:
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter – unsalted
- 3-4 carrots approx. 2 cups – peeled & sliced
- 2 celery stalks approx. 1 cup – sliced
- 1 sweet yellow onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 8 cups Chicken Broth or Stock – Swanson Unsalted or homemade
- 1/2 cup Dry Sherry
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh – chopped
- 1 teaspoon Parisien or Bonnes Herbs (a combo of chives dill, basil, French tarragon, chervil
- & white pepper)
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3-4 teaspoons chicken granules or chicken **Note if using salted broth, reduce the amount of chicken granules used.
- 4 cups diced chicken – rotisserie chicken cut into bite-size pieces or 2-4 chicken breasts, (cooked & cut into bite-size pieces)
- 8 ounce package egg noodles - I use Neva’s Old Fashion Homemade Egg Noodles but Reames Egg Noodles (frozen) are also excellent.**
- Heat oil & butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Once the oil/butter is hot, place carrots & celery in the skillet and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add all other ingredients except the noodles.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- **See notes if planning to freeze the soup.
- Add the noodles and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Delicious served with crusty bread.
Note: If using rotisserie chicken or salted chicken stock, do NOT salt until after the soup cooks for 15 minutes. Taste first - then add salt only if needed.
Note: If freezing the soup, make the soup up to the point of adding the noodles. Freeze the soup without noodles added, then when ready to serve, add the noodles and simmer until noodles are cooked. This keeps the noodles from turning mushy.