Delicious, simple and so easy to make, this homemade pound cake is a classic. This is our family recipe that we have made for years and it never fails to please!
Table of Contents
Homemade Pound Cake
I just know that you are going to love our family pound cake recipe. Simple to make, it’s perfectly light and fluffy and so wonderfully delicious!
Pound cake is a classic for a reason, and this is hands down our go to recipe for an celebration or occasion.
Why you’ll love this Homemade Pound Cake Recipe:
- Easy: Made with simple ingredients, this pound cake is simple to make before you pop it in the oven to bake.
- A cooking basic: This cake is perfect for novice bakers and it’s a great recipe for the kids to help out with too!
- Quick to make: It takes no more than 15 minutes to make this cake before you bake it. Perfect for if you are short on time.
How to make a pound cake from scratch
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Grease a cake pan and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cream together the butter and shortening.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the eggs.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk and flour mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla and almond.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake.
How long does it keep?
Once your homemade pound cake has fully cooled, cover it or place it in an air tight container. It will keep at room temperature for three days.
You can also wrap the cake in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
Can you freeze pound cake?
Yes, this cake freezes really well. Wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer bag. It will keep well for up to 6 months. Thaw the frozen cake, still wrapped, at room temperature before serving.
How to serve
This cake is pretty delicious as it is, but it’s easy to add toppings for special occasions. You can pour a glaze or sauce over it, serve it with whipped cream or add some fresh fruits or berries.
Let the pound cake cool completely before decorating it.
- My Mom started making this recipe in 2008. She sold this deliciousness at her baked goods booth years ago and it brought her many repeat customers. She has tweaked it over the years and it is better than ever. It’s still our favorite pound cake and I love the crunchy top, sugared sides and bottom.
- Be sure to grease your pan before adding the cake batter so that it’s easy to remove.
- Bake the cake in a fully pre-heated oven so that it cooks through evenly.
More Cake Recipes
This Pound Cake Recipe is just one of our favorite homemade cakes. Be sure to try them all!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!