Instant pot mashed sweet potatoes are the easiest and most delicious side dish for any occasion! These creamy sweet mashed potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter. Make them sweet or savory with different flavor variations. It’s the quickest mashed potatoes recipe you’ll find!
Quick Mashed Sweet Potatoes
These Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are the ideal side dish. They’re creamy, delicious, and so easy to make. They pair perfectly with chicken, beef, turkey, or pork. And they make a great holiday dish!
Making sweet potato mash in a pressure cooker is a no-brainer. It’s one of the quickest methods for mashed potatoes, and they come out just perfect.
Why You’ll Love this Sweet Potato Recipe:
- QUICK AND EASY: Making mashed sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot is so quick and easy. This method keeps cooking time to a minimum!
- SWEET OR SAVORY: Take your flavor pick with this recipe. Add your preferred ingredients to make them more sweet or savory.
- ONE POT POTATOES: You can cook the potatoes, mash, and mix all in one pot!
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Try this sweet potato mash recipe instead, or these easy mashed potatoes!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Place cubed sweet potatoes, water, and salt in the bowl of the Instant Pot.
- Put lid in place and seal. Pressure cook 12 minutes to cook the potatoes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes, then put them back in the pressure cooker and add the butter and half and half.
- Mash or blend to your desired consistency.
- Add ingredients to make them sweet or savory (suggestions in the recipe card).
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe Notes
- Potatoes: Instead of sweet potatoes, try russet or Yukon gold for classic mashed potatoes.
- Water: Prevents the potatoes from burning on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Salt: Seasons the potatoes while they cook, so don’t skip it!
- Half and Half: Makes the potatoes creamy and smooth while mashing. For extra richness, use heavy cream!
- Butter: Adds richness and great flavor to the potatoes! Feel free to add as much or as little as you like.
- Sweet Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Mix in ¼ cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and ¼ cup toasted pecans.
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon fresh minced thyme.
While the terms are often used interchangeably, they are not the same thing. Sweet potatoes are reddish with a bright orange interior, and are actually sweeter. Yams look and taste more like regular potatoes.
Yes! Instead of sweet potatoes, use russet or Yukon gold for classic mashed potatoes.
Yes you can. Add ingredients to a slow cooker, and cook on High for 2-3 hours, or until potatoes are tender enough to mash. Then blend or mash to desired consistency. Or try this slow cooker mashed potatoes recipe.
Sweet potatoes are a pretty nutritious vegetable. Added ingredients like butter and cream will add calories and fat, but overall, it’s a relatively healthful side dish.
These Instant pot mashed sweet potatoes make the perfect side dish for just about anything. I think they are especially good with turkey or chicken, but I’d serve them any time. Try making them alongside these delicious main dishes.
- Air Fryer Garlic Rosemary Turkey Breast
- Garlic Butter Prime Rib
- Air Fryer Cranberry Glazed Ham
- Honey Garlic Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Pecan Bourbon Glazed Ham
Mashed sweet potatoes really go with everything, especially because you can easily make them more sweet or savory depending the meal.
Try ALL the Sides
60+ Holiday Side Dishes
This Thanksgiving we hope you enjoy as many sides as possible with this Roast Turkey Breast!
- Make mashed sweet potatoes sweet or savory. Both are delicious!
- You can use this same method to make any type of mashed potatoes in an Instant pot.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes before adding them into the pressure cooker. You can leave the skin on if you prefer, but that will create a different texture.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When reheating, stir in a small amount of half and half as needed to rehydrate.
- This is a great base recipe. Try adding your favorite seasonings and herbs to create your own flavor variations!
How do I thin out mashed sweet potatoes?
If the potatoes are too thick, mix in small amounts of half and half until you get your desired consistency.
Can I make these mashed sweet potatoes vegan?
Yes! Replace the half and half with an equal amount of dairy free milk (try oat milk or coconut milk for ultra creamy potatoes). Replace the butter with an equal amount of vegan butter (like Miyokos).
More Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes We Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash Hasselback
- Chantilly Potatoes
- Red Wine Glazed Carrots
- Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
- Air Fryer Ranch Broccoli
- Caramelized Carrots
Making these mashed sweet potatoes in an Instant pot is a great way to free up time and stovetop space while cooking for the holidays. These are so good for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter!
These Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are sure to be your new favorite side dish! So easy, so quick, and so deliciously creamy.
More Sweet Potato Recipes we Love
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Sweet Potato Pie
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.