Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect easy side dish for Thanksgiving and beyond. This sweet potato mash recipe is so creamy and delicious! Find out how to make mashed sweet potatoes with this easy mashed sweet potatoes recipe, and add them to your holiday table.
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes in all forms are a must for fall, so these savory mashed sweet potatoes are more than welcome! I’m always looking for more sweet potato dishes to add to the Thanksgiving table, and this recipe definitely does the trick.
The mix of herbs in this sweet potato mash recipe gives them a savory kick, but you still get that hint of natural sweet flavor from the potatoes. The perfect balance! These easy mashed sweet potatoes are also super creeeeamy thanks to the cream cheese we mixed right in. It adds so much texture, flavor, and richness without being overwhelming.
Learn how to make mashed sweet potatoes and get them on the table this holiday season!
Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This easy mashed sweet potatoes recipe is a great side dish for Thanksgiving. Sweet potatoes are naturally the perfect blend of sweet and savory, so they really complement all the other Thanksgiving dishes. They’re super creamy and so delicious. The cream cheese and herbs are mixed right in with the potatoes to create the most amazing flavor. I love mashed potatoes of all kinds, but this sweet potato mash recipe is extra special. Just what we need during the holidays!
FIND ALL THE RECIPES YOU NEED WITH MY EASY HOLIDAY RECIPES E-BOOK. OVER 130 RECIPES IN ONE PLACE. INCLUDES APPETIZERS, SIDE DISHES, DESSERTS AND MORE!
Do you need to peel sweet potatoes before mashing?
You don’t have to peel sweet potatoes before mashing or boiling. Some people prefer to leave the skin on, and eating the skin does add a bit of nutritional benefit. However, I chose to peel the potatoes for these savory mashed sweet potatoes. I peeled them while I was cutting them into cubes, before boiling/steaming.
How do you boil sweet potatoes for mashing?
To make mashed sweet potatoes, you will need to cook the potatoes first in order to make them mashable. You can boil them or steam them, whichever you prefer.
To boil sweet potatoes for mashing:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Places potatoes in a pot of water and boil until soft (about 15 minutes).
- Once they are fully cooked, drain them over a colander.
What herbs go with sweet potato mash?
To make this sweet potato mash recipe more on the savory side, I used Parisien Bonnes Herbes. This is a mix of chives, dill weed, French basil, French tarragon, chervil, and white pepper. This creates a great blend of flavor in these savory mashed sweet potatoes.
Some other herbs and spices that would taste great in sweet potato mash are rosemary, oregano, and basil. Or you could lean more towards the sweet side by adding in brown sugar.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This easy mashed sweet potatoes recipe is simple. All you really have to do is cook the potatoes, mash them up, an mix in the herbs and cheese. You can make them in about half an hour!
How to make savory sweet potato mash:
- Boil or steam cubed sweet potatoes until soft and fully cooked.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat and mash up the potatoes for about 30 seconds to removed excess liquid.
- Then you can remove the pot from heat and continue mashing the potatoes into a chunky consistency.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs, cream cheese and butter, and continuing mashing until the potatoes reach a smooth, creamy consistency.
Sprinkle with more herbs and add more butter before serving. The warm, creamy, savory mashed sweet potatoes will be so good! Check the recipe card for more details.
Recommended Products to make this Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes are incredibly creamy and delicious. This sweet potato mash recipe makes the perfect easy side dish for holidays or any time!
See the recipe card below for details on how to make Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Enjoy!
If you like this sweet potato mash recipe, try these other tasty sweet potato recipes:
- Crunchy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Homemade Sweet Potato Pie with Walnut Topping
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips
- The Perfect Baked Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Souffle Cups
- Easy Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes about 6 medium, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Parisien Bonnes Herbes A blend of chives, dill weed, French basil, French tarragon, chervil and white pepper.
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened & more for garnish
- Steam or boil the sweet potatoes until it is easy to slide a thin knife in and out, about 15 minutes.
- If boiling, drain the potatoes over a colander. If steaming, remove the potatoes and drain the water from the pot.
- Return the potatoes to the pot set over medium-low heat. Mash the potatoes for 20-30 seconds – just until excess liquid has cooked off. (This will remove any residual water in the pot and on the potatoes.) Remove the pot from the heat and mash the potatoes until a chunky consistency is achieved.
- Add the salt, black pepper, herbs, cream cheese and butter.
- Season to taste, if necessary and mash the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Top the potatoes with a sprinkling of Parisien Bonnes Herbes and a couple of pats of softened butter. Serve immediately.