Level up your sausage stuffing with this delicious butternut squash recipe. Roasted butternut squash is added to a traditional stuffing for one delicious side that’s perfect for Thanksgiving and the holidays.
Sausage Butternut Squash Stuffing Recipe
When you though stuffing couldn’t get any better, along comes this butternut squash stuffing recipe!
Homemade stuffing is a must side dish for me at Thanksgiving, with it’s herby flavors and meaty texture. Made with Italian sausage this recipe packs a punch of flavor and the roasted butternut squash makes it extra festive!
Why you’ll love this Sausage Squash Stuffing recipe:
- MAKE AHEAD: You can easily make this stuffing ahead of time and it’s freezer friendly too.
- PERFECT FOR A CROWD: This recipe easily serves 10, so it’s the perfect side for he holidays. Plus the leftovers are pretty delicious!
- SO DELICIOUS: The flavors and textures are out of this world! With crispy bread cubes, soft butternut squash and lots of herbs, this is one tasty side!
If you want to impress, this butternut squash stuffing is a sure fire way of doing it!
How to make Butternut Squash Stuffing for the Holidays
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Roast the cubed butternut squash.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet.
- Add in the onion and celery and cook til soft.
- Combine the sausage and butternut squash.
- Stir in the bread cubes.
- Pour over the seasoned melted butter and stir.
- Add the broth.
- Place into a pan, top with nuts and bake.
Yes, this recipe can be made with frozen butternut squash cubes, and it’s often more convenient than fresh. Thaw them fully before roasting them.
The stuffing can be made right up to the point of baking a day ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate it and then just bake it in the oven when you are ready to serve.
Yes! This is perfect for the freezer and will keep well for up to 3 months. Wrap it tightly to protect from freezer burn. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating it at 325F, covered with foil, for around 20 minutes til hot.
Butternut squash is great to use in this recipe, but other fall squashes like acorn, pumpkin or delicata will all work well.
This butternut squash stuffing recipe is the perfect accompaniment to all of your holiday meals. Try it with:
- Whole Roast Turkey
- Prime Rib Roast
- Pork Crown Roast
- Whole Roast Chicken
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Breast
- Smoked Turkey Breast
We all know that the sides are the best part of Thanksgiving dinner, and this stuffing will not disappoint!
- To make dried bread cubes, cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place on a large cookie sheet. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Carefully turn and bake for an additional 5 -10 minutes until dried but not overly browned.
- Making your bread cubes is also easily done in an air fryer. Place cubed up bread in the air fryer basket. Place the temperature on 400° and set for 5-10 minutes, checking every 2 minutes to stir and toss so that they dry evenly.
- Here’s how to peel and cube butternut squash.
This stuffing is everything that it should be! It’s so flavorful and delicious, it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Try ALL the Sides
60+ Holiday Side Dishes
This Thanksgiving we hope you enjoy as many sides as possible with this Roast Turkey Breast!
Be sure to pop this butternut squash stuffing on your Thanksgiving menu this year. Simple to make and loaded with flavor, everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
More Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes we Love
- Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
- Roasted Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Cranberry Sauce
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.