Italian Wedding Soup is a traditional soup that’s just filled with flavor! It’s hearty, warming, and delicious. This is the BEST Italian wedding soup recipe, loaded with comforting goodness and nutritious ingredients, including meatballs. It’s so flavorful and so easy to make!
Best Italian Wedding Soup with Meatballs
Italian Wedding Soup is filled with all kinds of amazing ingredients! It’s a delicious mix of veggies, greens, grains, and meatballs.
There’s a reason why this soup is timeless, because it’s so tasty and fit for any event. Plus it’s surprisingly easy to make!
This is the best Italian wedding soup recipe, made with homemade meatballs, fresh vegetables, sausage and parmesan. It’s wonderfully rich and satisfying.
Why You’ll Love This Italian Wedding Soup Recipe:
- ONE POT: This wedding soup is all made in one pot on the stovetop, so clean up is a breeze!
- MAKE AHEAD: This is a great soup to enjoy throughout the week, and it’s freezer friendly too.
- FILLING: This Italian soup is not thin and watery. It’s loaded with filling and nutritious ingredients and is so satisfying.
Be sure to try my Chicken Parmesan Soup and Tomato Soup too!
- Vegetables: Carrots, fennel bulb, onion, kale, spinach.
- White Wine
- Chicken Broth: I recommend using low-sodium broth.
- Couscous: Or substitute orzo, pasta, or another grain.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Meatballs: pork, sausage, beef, and lots of seasonings.
There are so many delicious ingredients in this Italian wedding soup recipe, so be sure to check the recipe card for the full ingredients list!
How to Make Italian Wedding Soup
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- To make the meatballs, mix together the ingredients and shape into balls. Then bake until lightly browned.
- Soften the vegetables in oil in your pot.
- Add wine and deglaze.
- Add in all the other ingredients except parmesan and parsley.
- Stir in parmesan and parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
These meatballs are a mix of ground pork, ground beef, and sweet Italian sausage (a little bit of everything). You can use ground chicken or turkey in place of the pork or beef.
A dry white wine works best. Use something like a pinot grigio or chardonnay.
Once the meatballs are formed, it takes about 10-15 minutes to bake them in the oven.
This Italian wedding soup recipe can easily be served by itself for a delicious dinner! It’s filled with so many ingredients, including grains, veggies, and meat, so it’s plenty filling. It works wonderfully with a side of garlic bread or a Caprese salad.
- The meatballs can be formed, covered on the baking sheet, and refrigerated, up to two days before using.
- You can also use pre-made frozen meatballs if you’d prefer.
- Make this wedding soup in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot. It will disperse the heat more evenly so you won’t get hotspots that can burn the bottom.
- If you don’t want to use wine, you can substitute this for an extra bit of stock.
What is Italian wedding soup?
Italian wedding soup is a soup that contains a mix of veggies, greens, and meats. There’s lots of good stuff in here, all mingling together.
This dish is sometimes called simply wedding soup, or traditionally, minestra maritata (meaning “marriage soup”).
Can you make it ahead of time?
This soup is so great to enjoy throughout the week. The recipe will easily make 8 servings, so you can make it one night and enjoy it for easy lunches and dinners. Store the cooled soup in airtight containers. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
You can also prep the meatballs ahead of time, keep them in the refrigerator, and bake to serve.
Can you freeze Italian wedding soup?
Yes! This wedding soup will keep well frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw the soup fully in the fridge overnight before reheating.
This Italian wedding soup is so wonderfully delicious and so simple and easy to make. Be sure to make up a big batch because it will disappear quickly!
More Easy Soup Recipes we Love
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Easy Gazpacho
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.