Cook up a flavorful and warming stuffed pepper soup quickly and easily in your Instant Pot. This Mexican style beef and tomato soup is wonderfully hearty and requires very little prep.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
The Instant Pot is so perfect for making really flavorful soups, and it’s so quick and easy with very little hands on time required. This is a great family friendly meal that will leave everyone feeling full and satisfied.
Why You’ll Love this Instant Pot Soup Recipe:
- ONE POT: All made right in the Instant Pot, even the clean up is a breeze.
- QUICK: Simple to prep and hands off cooking, this is one effortless soup recipe.
- HEALTHY: Made from scratch, this soup is high in protein and low in saturated fat.
This stuffed pepper soup is so easy to make in the pressure cooker. This is one tasty meal that everyone will love!
How to Make Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the beef in the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Soften the onion, bell peppers and garlic with the seasonings.
- Add the diced tomatoes, stock and rice and place in the beef.
- Cook on pressure and naturally release.
- Season and serve.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Ingredient Notes
- Beef: Ground beef makes this soup extra hearty.
- Onion: Adds great flavor and is a classic addition to stuffed peppers. Shallots or leeks would also be delicious if you have those on hand.
- Peppers: Use a combination of your favorites! I like to use 2 green bell peppers and 1 red bell pepper because the green peppers tend to be a bit stronger in flavor while the red peppers tend to be slightly sweeter.
- Garlic: Adds wonderful flavor. Instead of fresh garlic, substitute one teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Paprika: Smoked paprika adds a bit of spice and smokiness to the soup.
- Oregano: Dried oregano adds earthiness and herby flavor to the soup.
- Tomatoes: Use plain or fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
- Stock: Chicken stock helps thin the soup and cook the rice.
- Rice: Long grain white rice cooks in 4 minutes in the Instant Pot. If using jasmine or basmati rice, cook for 3 minutes. I don’t recommend using brown rice in this recipe as it takes substantially longer to cook.
You can make this soup in a 6 quart or larger Instant Pot.
Yes! You can easily adapt this recipe to make in the slow cooker. Brown the beef and then add everything to the Crockpot. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and serve.
Instead of long grain white rice, try jasmine or basmati rice. Both take 3 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. I don’t recommend using brown rice in this recipe because it takes much longer to cook.
To make a vegetarian version of this soup, leave out the beef and sauté the onion in one tablespoon of olive oil. Replace the chicken stock with an equal amount of vegetable broth.
This soup isn’t spicy, but you can easily adapt it to suit your tastes. To make it spicy, add in some hot sauce, chili flakes or cayenne.
Because this soup contains rice, it’s texture can change quite a lot of you freeze it. If you want to freeze it, it’s best to leave out the rice. You can then add it to the pot to cook when you reheat it.
This Mexican inspired soup is sure to warm your body and soul. It’s perfect for those cold winter evenings!
- Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If making ahead of time, let the soup cool fully before storing.
- If you like, you can add in additional veggies like mushrooms and carrots.
This stuffed pepper soup is loaded with all of the good stuff. Simple to make and delicious to eat, it’s a great go to after a busy day.
Can I use pre-cooked rice?
If you are using pre-cooked rice, add it once the soup has finished cooking as it just needs to heat through.
What can I use instead of ground beef?
Try using ground chicken or turkey, or leave the meat out completely for a vegetarian soup.
What toppings can I add to stuffed pepper soup?
I love to serve this soup with lots of toppings like sour cream, sliced avocado, shredded cheese and tortilla strips. Add on some sliced jalapenos for a spicy kick.
More Instant Pot Recipes We Love
- Instant Pot Buffalo Wings
- Instant Pot Hamburgers
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Garlic Herb Turkey Breast
This Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup is such an effortless recipe, but the flavors are out of this world! Rich, hearty and filling, it’s sure to warm you up from the inside out!
More Easy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!