Sip on all of the best cozy fall flavors when you enjoy an Apple Cider Hot Toddy! This warm whiskey cocktail is made flavorful with honey, lemon juice, and of course apple cider. It’s an adults-only beverage that will make Thanksgiving even more delicious!
What’s in this Apple Cider Hot Toddy Recipe
This easy apple hot toddy recipe features just six ingredients and comes together in 5 minutes (or less). It’s just like a classic hot toddy, but with autumnal apple cider!
- Apple Cider: Store-bought apple cider works just fine! If you do want to make your own, try my easy Crockpot apple cider recipe.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds the very best flavor. Try to avoid using bottled juice if possible.
- Spices: You’ll need one cinnamon stick and one star anise for this cocktail recipe. They both add such a wonderful aromatic quality!
- Whiskey: This recipe contains a double shot of whiskey. You can half it if you prefer a less strong drink.
PRO TIP: Take the cocktail off of the heat when you add in the whiskey. If the drink continues to heat, the alcohol will evaporate.
What’s the best whiskey to use in a hot toddy?
I love to make this drink with a whiskey bourbon like Jack Daniels. I find the flavor works so well with the apple cider and spices. You could make this with a Scotch or Irish whiskey if you prefer, or try Fireball for an extra kick of cinnamon flavor.
You can keep the hot toddy warm on the stovetop for a couple of hours if you want to enjoy more than one drink, just don’t let it boil. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a few days and easily reheated.
You can serve this cocktail without any garnishes, but I like to add a cinnamon stick and slice of apple and lemon to each glass to make it feel extra special and to enhance the flavors.
Honey helps to balance out the flavor of the whiskey and lemon. If you don’t have honey, maple syrup is a great substitution. You can also stir in some brown sugar instead until it dissolves.
How to Store/Reheat
Once cooled, transfer your apple cider hot toddy to an airtight container. Keep it stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the Crockpot or right back on the stove until warmed through. Don’t let it come to a boil when reheating.
I love serving these fall hot toddys after Thanksgiving dinner as a dessert cocktail!
More Fall Cocktail Recipes We Love
- Apple Pie Drink
- Apple Cider Mimosas
- Pumpkin Whiskey Smash Cocktail
- Caramel Apple Sangria
- Pumpkin Spice White Russian
- Spiked Chai Tea