You’ll crave this APPLE PIE OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE every morning! It’s the perfect make ahead breakfast for guests or your family. Brioche, eggs, apples, spices, and more. Just too good.
Can you guys tell I’ve been on a huge casserole kick lately? Some of my favorites have been our Broccoli Rice Casserole, Reuben Casserole (fun, right?), Stuffed Pepper Casserole, Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, and who could forget that Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole!
My dream would be to start off every morning with a hot and hearty breakfast casserole, and this Apple Pie Overnight French Toast Casserole would be at the top of my list! I love that you can prep it the night before, sleep in, and then cook it whenever you’re ready to eat. It’s the perfect breakfast or brunch to make for guests, and we just cannot get enough!
The apple pie flavors combined with the fluffy baked french toast are SO divine and such a great way to start your morning. You cannot mess up this fool proof recipe…just by reading it you’re well on your way to being the king or queen of breakfast! Your family and friends are going to be begging for this overnight french toast casserole again and again. Can you blame them?! Anything topped with powdered sugar is a-okay with me.
If you’re like us and just love to sleep in as late as possible on the weekends, then this Apple Pie French Toast Casserole is definitely for you. It’s the best easy breakfast casserole I’ve come across in a long time, and it’s oh so delicious. No stress with this recipe. No waiting for bread to rise, no waking up at the crack of down, no slaving away for hours. Just prep it, chill it, and bake it. Then pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Apple Pie Overnight French Toast Casserole
You'll crave this APPLE PIE OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE every morning! It's the perfect make ahead breakfast for guests or your family. Brioche, eggs, apples, spices, and more. Just too good.
- 16-18 ½ inch thick slices, day-old, Brioche or Challah bread
- 6 tablespoons butter divided into 2 and 4 tablespoons sections
- 6 Gala apples peeled & sliced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1¼ teaspoon apple pie spice divided into 1 & ¼ teaspoon sections
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk or half ‘n half
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Optional: Maple Syrup
- Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 8 bread slices in prepared dish, slightly overlapping slices. If necessary, cut bread to fill in any empty spaces.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add apples and cook just until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and 1-teaspoon apple pie spice.
- Spread apple mixture over bottom layer of bread, then top with remaining bread slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and press down gently with the back of a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer French Toast to countertop and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while oven preheats.
- In a small skillet or a microwave-safe bowl, melt 4 tablespoons butter and mix with ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice. Drizzle the apple spice butter over the bread.
- Bake French toast until center is set and is golden brown, 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar. The French Toast is rich, but if desired, drizzle with maple syrup.