Gloriously rich and decadent Beef Stroganoff Soup is everything we love about classic beef stroganoff in soup form. Made with stew beef, mushrooms, and egg noodles, this soup has it all!
Homemade Beef Stroganoff Soup
Wonderfully savory beef stroganoff soup checks all the right boxes! Similar in flavor to beef stroganoff, this soup features big chunks of tender beef, thick egg noodles, and that quintessential creamy mushroom sauce.
This is one of my favorite meals to make for family dinners or special occasions. Beef stroganoff soup is always a winner – everyone asks for seconds!
Be sure to try my Beef Tortilla Soup and Instant Pot Lasagna Soup, too.
Why You’ll Love this Beef Soup Recipe:
- FROM SCRATCH: No canned soups or pre-packaged ingredients here – this beef soup is completely homemade.
- HEARTY: Each bowl of soup is a meal on its own with beef, noodles, mushrooms, and more.
- ONE POT: Beef stroganoff soup is made in one pot on the stovetop. Easy prep and easy cleanup!
This homemade beef and noodle soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly evening.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff Soup
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Sear the beef and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and cook the mushrooms and garlic.
- Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine, then reduce.
- Return the beef to the pot and pour in the broth.
- Cook until tender.
- Add the noodles and cook until al dente.
- Thicken the soup with a sour cream and flour mixture.
Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish. Traditionally, tender chunks of beef are served with a mushroom and sour cream sauce over egg noodles. I love this recipe for beef stroganoff.
I recommend stew beef for this soup. While a bit tougher compared to steaks, it’s much more flavorful. It requires a longer cook time so it’s ideal to use in soups and stews.
It will take around 35 to 40 minutes for the beef to cook. Test it with a fork to see if it’s done – it should be tender and almost fall apart.
Absolutely! Classic beef stroganoff features egg noodles, but use any kind of similarly sized noodles in this soup.
Pair beef stroganoff soup with:
Each bowl features fall apart tender beef with a creamy sauce. There’s so much to love!
- To make this soup ahead of time, follow the recipe as-written, but leave out the noodles as they can become mushy and soft. When ready to reheat and serve the soup, stir in cooked egg noodles.
- If you have any other veggies on hand, add them to the soup in step 2. Bell peppers and carrots are delicious additions.
Homemade beef stroganoff soup is not shy in the flavor department!
What can I use instead of wine?
Replace the red wine with an equal amount of beef stock to deglaze the pan.
Can I make this soup without mushrooms?
Definitely. Simply omit the mushrooms or replace them with another earthy vegetable like diced squash or zucchini, or try chopped bell peppers or carrots.
Can I make beef stroganoff soup gluten free?
Yes! Simply swap the flour for corn starch, arrowroot starch, or a 1:1 gluten free flour substitute.
More One Pot Recipes We Love
This beef stroganoff soup is like a big hug in a bowl!
More Cozy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Swedish Meatball Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.
I found CR through facebook and been diving into the recipes for weeks. This is the first one that I wouldn’t prepare again. It isn’t that it is bad, it just kind of bland. My family of 4 (all very different tastes) told me to not do this one again.
I’m sorry this recipe wasn’t a hit!
Very YUMMY. Meat was tender and the soup had great flavor 🙌🏼
This sounds wonderful. I don’t have red wine. What can i use in it’s place?
Red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar!