This delicious beef stroganoff is one tasty comfort food recipe. Made with sliced ribeye steak, the creamy mushroom and onion sauce is perfectly rich. Best served over egg noodles.
Easy Beef Stroganoff
Steak strips are cooked in a sour cream sauce that’s seasoned with mushrooms and white wine, and it’s perfectly tangy thanks to Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Simple to make, this traditional stroganoff is perfect to enjoy any night of the week.
Be sure to check out my Beef Stroganoff Casserole too!
Why You’ll Love this Beef Stroganoff Recipe:
This is one delicious dinner recipe! Simple to make, it’s a perfect family dinner that everyone will love.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Slice the steak and season.
- Sear the steak in batches and set to one side.
- Cook the mushrooms and onions in butter in the skillet.
- Add the garlic and deglaze the pan with wine.
- Reduce the wine and stir in the flour.
- Add the sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning.
- Pour in the broth and simmer.
- Return the steak to the pot to warm through.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles.
A stew is more liquid and often contains more vegetables. It’s cooked in a large pot until the beef is tender. Stroganoff is creamy and the sauce is thicker. We use strips of steak that cook more quickly.
I like to use ribeye steak for this recipe, it’s sliced thinly so that it cooks quickly. Other thick steaks like sir loin will work well.
This recipe will work well with ground beef. Brown it in the skillet first, like the steak, and then add it back to the sauce at the end of cooking.
Yes, this makes for a great freezer meal. Let it cool fully before storing in an airtight container or freezer bag. It will keep well for 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating on the stovetop.
Yes! If you prefer to use a slow cooker, follow this Crockpot Beef Stroganoff recipe for easy instructions.
Serve your beef stroganoff on a bed of noodles for a hearty dinner, you can also serve it with rice. Serve it with a simple vegetable side like…
This is such a great family meal, but it’s complex flavors easily lends itself to a dinner party!
- To make the steak easier to slice, you can place it in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill it.
- If you don’t want to cook with wine, you can use some extra broth to deglaze the pan.
- This recipe will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be reheated on the stovetop.
Easy to make from scratch, this is one delicious beef stroganoff recipe, I’m sure it will become a firm favorite!
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
I used cremini mushrooms, but any fresh mushrooms will work well. Slice them before cooking to help them break down.
What type of noodles are best for stroganoff?
I like to serve this over wide egg noodles, but any pasta will work well. You can also serve it of rice or mashed potato.
Can I double this recipe?
This recipe easily serves six. You can double it easily by using the toggle button on the recipe card below. If you do double it, make sure that you use a large enough skillet.
More Beef Dinner Recipes We Love
- Mongolian Beef and Broccoli
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Beef Lo Mein
- Crockpot Beef and Noodles
- Beef Sheet Pan Nachos
This easy beef stroganoff recipe is one hearty and comforting dinner. With complex flavors, every bite is super creamy and delicious!
More Cozy Dinner Recipes to Try:
- Baked Parmesan Pasta
- Red Wine Beef Stew
- One Pot Chili Mac
- Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Hungarian Goulash
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.