This delicious buttermilk spoon bread is the perfect side to serve up with your Thanksgiving dinner this year. everyone will love this classic Southern recipe!
If you love cornbread, you are sure to love this buttermilk spoon bread! Softer than cornbread, it is baked in the oven, and it is wonderfully light and fluffy.
With just the right amount of sweetness, this spoon pudding is sure to be a hit with everyone you serve it to!
For more bread sides, be sure to check out my Easy Beer Bread and Easy Dinner Rolls.
Why You’ll Love this Buttermilk Spoon Bread:
- Easy: Made with simple ingredients, this oven-baked bread is hands-off once you’ve prepped it.
- Gluten-Free: There’s no flour in this recipe, so it’s a great option if you or someone in your family has a gluten intolerance. Just make sure that your cornmeal is GF certified.
- Perfect for Sharing: This is a great side dish to serve up as part of your Thanksgiving or Christmas feast and this recipe will easily serve 8.
How to Make Buttermilk Spoon Bread
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Simmer the milk and buttermilk together in a pan.
- Whisk in the cornmeal and keep stirring while it thickens.
- Stir in the butter and let it rest.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add some of the cooled cornmeal into the eggs and whisk.
- Pour the egg mix into the remaining cornmeal and combine.
- Beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the cornmeal mixture.
- Place in a baking dish, sprinkle with sugar, and bake.
Why is it called spoon bread?
Although similar in flavor to cornbread, spoon bread is much softer and needs to be served with a spoon rather than cut into slices. It’s popular in Southern states, especially Virginia and Kentucky.
How long does it keep?
Spoon bread is best served as soon as it’s made, but leftovers will keep for a couple of days covered in the fridge. You can heat it up to serve on a low heat in the oven or in the microwave.
What do you serve it with?
Spoon bread is best served warm with a generous helping of butter and honey. It’s pure comfort food! You can also serve it up as a side with roasted meats and it’s pretty perfect when served with a hearty chili.
- Ground white cornmeal is best for this recipe.
- You can mix in some add-ins like bacon pieces or chives to the batter if you like.
- Beat the egg whites well until they form stiff peaks. This will help to keep the bread light and fluffy.
- Bake the bread in a fully -preheated oven so it cooks through evenly.
More Easy Bread Recipes
If you love this spoon bread recipe, you should also try these other easy bread sides.
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.
Wait– fold the egg whites into oatmeal? How much oatmeal?I don’t see oatmeal mentioned in the ingredients. I’m cornfused!
I’m sorry, that was a typo! It was supposed to say cornmeal. I’ve fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!
I bet this would make a good dressing base.