Make the most delicious chicken fried steak at home and top with the creamiest gravy for a weeknight meal with a bang. Ready to serve in less than 30 minutes, this is one tasty bite!
Easy Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy Recipe
Chicken fried steak is one of my favorite diner meals, but you guys, it’s so quick and easy to make at home, and when topped with a white gravy it is incredible!
Simple to make, the steak is super juicy and the coating has that perfect crunch you just can’t get enough of. The homemade gravy is silky smooth and finishes the dish off wonderfully.
Why you’ll love this Chicken Fried Steak recipe:
- QUICK: Ready to serve in less than 30 minutes, this is a great weeknight dinner recipe.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: It’s likely you’ll have most of the ingredients to hand to make this recipe, so you have no excuses!
- SO DELICIOUS: This is the most perfect comfort food! Hearty and filling, packed full of flavor and texture and a breeze to make!
How to make Chicken Fried Steak at home
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk together the milk and egg, then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Coat the steak in the milk mixture then dredge in flour.
- Make the gravy by whisking together butter and flour over heat and adding in the milk and seasonings. Whisk til thickened.
- Fry the steak on both sides til golden brown.
- Serve with the warm gravy.
What’s the best steak to use?
Cube steak is perfect for this recipe. It’s an inexpensive cut that has been pre-tenderized so it’s super flavorful. It looks a bit like ground beef in the store, but it’s definitely not.
If you can’t find cube steak, you can use flank or skirt and use a meat mallet to pound it down.
Can you make it ahead of time?
This chicken fried steak is best served as soon as it’s made so that the coating is nice and crispy. You can dredge the steak a few hours ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge til you are ready to cook.
The gravy can be made a couple of days ahead and reheated on the stovetop to serve.
What do you serve it with?
This Southern dish is traditionally served with a side of mashed potatoes, and of course the gravy, but any potato or veggie side will work well. Try it with:
- If you can’t get cube steak, be sure to use a meat tenderizer to flatten your steaks so that the cook evenly and are nice and tender.
- Pat the steak dry before dredging it, this will help the coating to stick to the steak.
- Make sure the oil is hot before cooking the coated steaks. If the oil isn’t hot enough, they won’t get nice and crispy.
This chicken fried steak recipe is the most glorious of comfort dishes. The white gravy is simple to make and every bite is truly delicious! I can’t wait for you to make this!
More easy beef recipes we love
- Beef Folded Tortillas
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Sauce
- Beef Lo Mein
- Easy Beef Wellington
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!