Make the most delicious chicken fried steak at home and top with the creamiest gravy for a weeknight meal with a bang. Ready to serve in less than 30 minutes, this is one tasty bite!
Easy Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy Recipe
Chicken fried steak is one of my favorite diner meals, but you guys, it’s so quick and easy to make at home, and when topped with a white gravy it is incredible!
Simple to make, the steak is super juicy and the coating has that perfect crunch you just can’t get enough of. The homemade gravy is silky smooth and finishes the dish off wonderfully.
Be sure to try my Garlic Steak Bites and Rosemary Garlic Steak too!
Why you’ll love this Chicken Fried Steak recipe:
- QUICK: Ready to serve in less than 30 minutes, this is a great weeknight dinner recipe.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: It’s likely you’ll have most of the ingredients to hand to make this recipe, so you have no excuses!
- SO DELICIOUS: This is the most perfect comfort food! Hearty and filling, packed full of flavor and texture and a breeze to make!
How to make Chicken Fried Steak at home
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk together the milk and egg, then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Coat the steak in the milk mixture then dredge in flour.
- Make the gravy by whisking together butter and flour over heat and adding in the milk and seasonings. Whisk til thickened.
- Fry the steak on both sides til golden brown.
- Serve with the warm gravy.
What’s the best steak to use?
Cube steak is perfect for this recipe. It’s an inexpensive cut that has been pre-tenderized so it’s super flavorful. It looks a bit like ground beef in the store, but it’s definitely not.
If you can’t find cube steak, you can use flank or skirt and use a meat mallet to pound it down.
Can you make it ahead of time?
This chicken fried steak is best served as soon as it’s made so that the coating is nice and crispy. You can dredge the steak a few hours ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge til you are ready to cook.
The gravy can be made a couple of days ahead and reheated on the stovetop to serve.
What do you serve it with?
This Southern dish is traditionally served with a side of mashed potatoes, and of course the gravy, but any potato or veggie side will work well. Try it with:
- If you can’t get cube steak, be sure to use a meat tenderizer to flatten your steaks so that the cook evenly and are nice and tender.
- Pat the steak dry before dredging it, this will help the coating to stick to the steak.
- Make sure the oil is hot before cooking the coated steaks. If the oil isn’t hot enough, they won’t get nice and crispy.
This chicken fried steak recipe is the most glorious of comfort dishes. The white gravy is simple to make and every bite is truly delicious! I can’t wait for you to make this!
More easy beef recipes we love
- Beef Folded Tortillas
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Sauce
- Beef Lo Mein
- Easy Beef Wellington
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.
Hello, I used it recipe as a base for my dinner. I seasoned the steaks with salt, pepper, garlic salt and paprika before putting them in the flour dredge and egg and so forth. I also added the garlic salt and paprika to both dredges and to us it was super flavorful. So Thank you very Much….
Garlic salt and paprika sound like great additions. Thank you for sharing your modifications, and I’m glad you enjoyed it!
Hi , and thank you for making this favorite dish of Texas and a basic beloved Southern dish. I only wish your recipe weren’t so bland and lacking in seasoning. Also you never make the gravy with butter, but thank you for reserving the oil meat was cooked in to make gravy. The gravy is whisked together constantly in the first one to two minutes them cooked for ten more only or else the milk will begin to become grainy and ruin. Please use half and half with Tobasco or hot sauce dashed in for a kick of flavor in the milk and egg coating and in the gravy. Also if possible with dietary needs please season the flour dredge also. Same with the delicious milk based gravy. Again thank you for your delicious recipe. Means a lot to Texans and Southerners
Definitely modify to your liking! Everyone has different tastes and sometimes it’s hard to cater to all!