This HOMEMADE CROUTONS RECIPE is super simple. Impress everyone including yourself with these HEALTHY BAKED CROUTONS! I love that these are BAKED and not fried, making them a healthier alternative to this classic recipe. They’re the perfect way to take any salad from good to great.
Homemade Croutons Recipe
Want to know how to make homemade croutons? This simple baked croutons recipe is just what you need!
Every home cook should have basic skills at hand for those staple foods and dishes that you use over and over again. You don’t need to be a master chef to make a good meal, but you do want to learn a few basic things…like boiling pasta, chopping vegetables, or how to cook a baked potato and make the perfect Pico de Gallo. Today we’re going to add Homemade Croutons to your skill set!
I love this healthy Homemade Croutons Recipe because it’s really easy and these baked croutons taste SO GOOD. They are crispy, crunchy, and full of flavor! Plus you can keep them for weeks so they’re ready to go when ever you need them.
Croutons are the perfect topping for salads (every Caesar salad needs a good crouton), and they add a much needed crunch to creamy soups. These are even good enough to eat on their own as a quick snack!
Learn how to make Homemade Croutons with this healthy Baked Croutons recipe!
How to Make Homemade Croutons
It’s easy to go to the store and just buy a package of pre-made croutons, but there’s nothing like the taste of fresh homemade croutons!
To make this baked croutons recipe, you just need a few things:
- Baguette or rustic bread (something hearty)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
Simple flavors for a classic crouton that goes well with any salad or soup.
To make this homemade croutons recipe, just toss the bread pieces in the garlic & oil mixture, then add in the seasonings. Put them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until they are golden brown and crispy. Let them cool after baking, and then they’re ready to add in to your favorite dishes.
Full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
Healthy Homemade Croutons Recipe
This homemade croutons recipe is a healthier version of the classic salad topping. They are baked instead of fried, and they’re cooked in extra-virgin olive oil instead of butter. By making croutons yourself at home, you know exactly what’s in them. There’s nothing like a healthy homemade crouton to throw on top of your healthy salad.
How long do homemade croutons last?
The best part about this homemade croutons recipe is the fact that you can make a bunch all at once, and then save them to use on all your salads at a moment’s notice.
These baked homemade croutons will last up to 3 weeks. Just make sure you store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh. They’ll stay crisp and crunchy without getting too stale. You can also freeze homemade croutons, and thaw and reheat them in the oven when you’re ready to use them. However, they taste best (and keep their crunchiness) when stored at room temperature.
What are croutons made out of?
Croutons are basically just pieces of bread, cooked on oil or butter with some seasonings added in for flavor. To male croutons, it’s best to use a heartier bread with a nice crunchy crust…these breads have the best texture for croutons. Homemade croutons are also a great way to use up stale bread instead of letting it go to waste.
How long does it take to cook croutons?
Croutons don’t take look to make. From start to finish, this Homemade Croutons Recipe takes about 30 minutes. Prep time is short, and baking time can range from 15-25 minutes. The trick is to cook the croutons until they are a crisp golden brown color.
Now you know how to make homemade croutons! And it was super easy, wasn’t it? I really love this healthy Homemade Croutons Recipe…the flavor is perfect and they dress up any salad in no time. I hope you try these baked croutons so you can make them for years to come.
Here are a few recipes you can add these homemade croutons to:
- Mandarin Orange Salad
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Chopped Chicken Caesar Salad Dip
- Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Zesty Bread Salad
See the recipe card below for details on How to Make this Homemade Croutons recipe. Enjoy!
This HOMEMADE CROUTONS RECIPE is super simple. Impress everyone including yourself with these HEALTHY BAKED CROUTONS! I love that these are BAKED and not fried, making them a healthier alternative to this classic recipe. They're the perfect way to take any salad from good to great.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups rustic bread or baguette; crust removed and bread cut into ¾-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper Herbs de Provence, basil, thyme, rosemary, chili powder, onion powder. The options are so many - have fun with this recipe.
- Place oven rack to middle position, and heat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil with minced garlic for 30 seconds.
- Pour the olive oil/garlic mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a large bowl. Press the garlic with a rubber spatula or the back of a wooden spoon to extract as much garlic oil as possible. Reserve the garlic for another use.
- Microwave the butter, in a small bowl, at 30% power for 20-40 seconds. The butter could bubbly over, so watch closely the last 10 seconds. Add the oil to the melted butter and stir well.
- Add the salts, black pepper, your favorite herbs/seasonings to the butter/oil mixture and add the bread cubes. Toss until cubes are evenly coated in the oil/butter mixture.
- Pour the croutons onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake 15-25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and toss until all croutons are covered. Allow to cool completely.
- The croutons will keep in an airtight container up to 3 weeks.