SUPER EASY Oven Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos make a weekly appearance on our table. All the flavor and none of the stress. Absolutely nothing better than Chicken Tacos!
I’ve published a lot of posts on this site. Almost 600 to be exact. (UPDATE: These Chicken Tacos are officially the most popular recipe on The Cookie Rookie and have been viewed over 3 million times, and pinned over 2 million times! You have got to try them!) But this post, this SUPER EASY OVEN BAKED SPICY CHICKEN TACOS post, is one of my favorites. It’s one of the easiest, one of the tastiest, and one that is made most often at our house. Do you see all that melty cheese? What’s not to love??
Working with Old El Paso this year has been such a dream. It has been so fun to get creative with their amazing products; they never disappoint. These tacos are filled with spicy flavor because due to quality ingredients from Old El Paso that are easy to use, totally accessible, and sure to please. What more can you ask for from an easy meal!
I make these baked tacos so often at our house, and they’re one of the recipes Pat asks for the most. When he comes home and sees these babies are ready to go, he’s a happy camper. You can make them with so many different flavor combos. Be creative and enjoy! Oh and top them with a heck of a lot of cheese! That’s the only way to do them.
I’m pretty sure these are the perfect easy appetizer or meal for New Years Eve. Why slave away in the kitchen when you can have these Chicken Tacos (for a crowd!) ready in around 30 minutes?
This is the MOST popular recipe on The Cookie Rookie and I hope you love it as much as we do! Chicken Tacos for the win! Enjoy!!
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken, shredded (I used cooked Rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (1 ounce) packet Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomato, drained
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles
- 10 Old El Paso Stand and Stuff Taco Shells
- 1/2 (16 ounce) can Old El Paso Refried Beans
- 2 cups Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
- Toppings such as Old El Paso sliced Jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, or any of your favorite taco toppings!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil. (I originally made this by spraying the pan with non stick spray. That is totally fine to do, but using foil can help in keeping the shells crisp.)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet.
- Add onion to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, and green chiles. Stir to combine fully. Reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Place the taco shells in the baking dish, standing up. I was able to fit 10 taco shells in the dish by adding 2 on each side.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of beans into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with the chicken mixture, almost to the top of each shell.
- Sprinkle each shell generously with shredded cheese, the more the better!
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and the edges of the shells are browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favorite items such as jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.
- ***TIPS: Be sure to drain the tomatoes completely, this will help the taco shells to not get soggy while baking!
- If you prefer your tacos not spicy, just omit the green chilis and use regular Old El Paso Taco Seasoning. Just as delicious!
This post has been sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are 100% mine. Thank you SO much for supporting the brands that help support The Cookie Rookie!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE OTHER MEXICAN FAVORITES!