These easy homemade cheese straws are the perfect savory snack to share with friends and family. Made with puff pastry, they are perfectly crispy and cheesy and a breeze to make!
Easy Cheese Straws Recipe
When it comes crowd pleasing appetizers, you really can not go wrong with some melt-in-your-mouth cheese straws!
Simple to make, these puff pastry straws are flavored with Gruyere, parmesan and mustard for one delicious bite!
Why you’ll love this Cheese Straws recipe:
How to make Cheese Straws
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Lay two pieces of puff pastry on top of each other.
- Flatten slightly with a rolling pin.
- Top with the cheeses and seasonings.
- Roll with a rolling pin to press the toppings in to the pastry.
- Brush the other side of the pastry with an egg wash.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Roll the pastry again.
- Cut the pastry into strips and twist.
- Let rest in the fridge before baking until golden brown.
What do you serve them with?
Honestly, these crispy cheese straws are easily enjoyed by themselves, but they are perfect to serve with all your favorite dips and sauces. Try them with:
How long do they keep?
If you are planning on making these ahead of time, let the straws cool completely before placing in an airtight container. They will keep well for 2 days at room temperature.
After a couple of days, they will start to soften, but will still be delicious. To make them crispy again, simply place them on a baking sheet and reheat for a few minutes at 425F.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, these baked cheesy apps are freezer friendly! Simply placed the cooled straws into a freezer safe bag and they will keep for up to a month.
There’s no need to thaw them, reheat them right from frozen for 15-20 minutes.
- Prep them up to 24 hours ahead of time, and keep them covered in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
- Thaw one sheet of puff pastry, covered with a damp cloth, on the counter as the oven is preheating. Grate the cheese (it is very important to use freshly grated cheese and NOT packaged shredded cheese. Four sheets of parchment paper are needed for this recipe.
- This recipe makes enough for 14 cheese straws and is easily doubled.
Game Day is covered!
101+ Super Bowl Appetizer Recipes
If its game day grub you crave, we have all the recipes you need to win big! Check out our easy Super Bowl recipes (or World Series, March Madness, National Championship, you get the idea!)
These homemade cheese straws are always so popular, and are an excellent addition to any buffet! Serve them up with your favorite dips and you’ll be everyone’s best friend!
More Appetizer Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!