TACO SALAD is one of my favorite weeknight meals. It’s simple, fresh, and easy to make. Taco Bowls are like a healthy version of my favorite Mexican dishes! We just love these CREAMY TACO SALAD BOWLS any night of the week. With a homemade tortilla bowl and loaded with all the toppings, this recipe can’t be beat.
Taco Salad Bowls are simple, fresh, and easy to make. Learn how to make these taco bowls with homemade tortilla bowls and creamy dressing!
Taco Salad is a healthier option for when I’m craving Mexican food (which is all the time). You get all the delicious ingredients (cheese, beans, salsa, tortillas) in salad form! And with a homemade tortilla bowl, this feels like a restaurant-level taco bowl.
I’m really obsessed with these Creamy Taco Salad Bowls for a quick and easy dinner. The only cooking involved is heating up the tortillas to turn them into bowls and cooking the ground beef. The rest of the ingredients can just be thrown together and tossed into a salad. I love piling the ingredients into the tortilla bowls to fill them with flavor.
I always sprinkle on a little bit of extra cheese, and I just can’t get enough of that creamy ranch and salsa dressing. Talk about flavor!
These Creamy Taco Salad Bowls are the perfect weeknight meal. You’re going to love how easy it is to make these tasty taco bowls!
Taco Salad Bowls
Taco Salad Bowls are one of those dishes I always see at restaurants. It’s the perfect thing to order for lunch on a Saturday, because it’s a salad but it’s also filled with cheese and other tasty things.
But why leave those delicious taco bowls for occasional restaurant outings only? Nope. I had to make my own so that I could eat a nice taco salad any time I wanted. And I even figured out how to make tortilla bowls to complete the dish.
How to Make Tortilla Bowls
Tortilla Bowls always looked a little fancy to me. When you get a big taco salad at a restaurant, they always come in those perfect-looking tortilla bowls, and it really completes the salad. Lucky for me (and you), making tortilla bowls at home is actually really easy. All you need are soft tortillas and a bowl!
How to Make Tortilla Bowls:
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Brush tortillas with olive oil
- Place them into oven-safe bowls (use smaller bowls if you want the tortillas to scrunch up and get that wavy tortilla bowl shape)
- Bake 10-15 minutes
Now you’ve got some crisp, homemade tortilla bowls for your tasty taco salad!
Is a taco salad bad for you?
A taco salad bowl from a fast food restaurant might not be so healthy, but this homemade taco salad definitely can be! By making your own taco bowl at home (and even making your own homemade tortilla bowl), you have full control over what goes into it. This taco salad is full of fresh produce, hearty protein, and lots of other good things. The creamy ranch sauce may not be the picture of health, but everyone puts a bit of ranch on their salads, right? We’ve got a nice big, fresh salad here, and that’s what I call healthy.
If you really want to make some changes, you can hold off on the cheese and switch out the creamy dressing for something else. You can also replace the ground beef with ground turkey, or hold off on the meat altogether to make a vegetarian version.
What kind of beans are used in taco salad?
I used black beans in this taco salad recipe. They’re my favorite type of bean to use in Mexican-inspired dishes, plus they’re full of nutrition. And I like them better than refried beans, which can get kind of sloppy when mixing up the salad.
What goes into a taco salad?
You could honestly put whatever you want into a taco salad. This is what I consider a great “clean out your refrigerator” recipes, where you can just take leftover produce that needs to be used up and throw it in. Add whatever you want, and leave out anything you don’t like. It’s totally customizable!
Here are my favorite taco salad ingredients:
- Black Beans
- Romaine Hearts
- Shredded Cheese
- Green Chiles
- Ground Beef
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
There are tons of other things to throw in, but these are my go-to ingredients. I’d also suggest making some of this homemade guacamole to put on top. Or if you’re really feeling crazy, why not drizzle some queso in there? Get creative!
Products we recommend for making Taco Salad Bowls
If you’re as big a fan of Mexican food as I am, then you’re going to love these Creamy Taco Salad Bowls! Make a tortilla bowl, throw your ingredients in, and devour that tasty taco bowl.
See the recipe card below for details on how to make Taco Salad Bowls. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, try these other Mexican-inspired dishes:
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Cheesy Enchilada Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Layered Bean Dip Recipe
- Cowboy Dip Queso
- Buffalo Shrimp Tacos
- 4 10 inch flour tortillas
- Olive Oil divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 ounce taco seasoning click for homemade recipe!
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 large romaine hearts chopped/shredded (or 1 large head iceberg lettuce)
- 16 ounces black beans
- 5 ounces sliced black olives
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 red onion diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 ounces green chiles, drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes chopped
- 5 ounces nacho cheese chips such as doritos
- 1/2 cup thin salsa store-bought or click for recipe
- 3/4 cup creamy ranch store-bought or click for recipe
- Preheat oven to 425F. Brush or spray both sides of each tortilla with olive oil. Place torillas inside oven safe bowls to create the shape you desire. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and add beef. Crumble as it cooks. Add taco seasoning and tomato sauce and allow to cook down until it's your desired consistency. Drain excess sauce.
- In a large bowl mix together the lettuce, beef, beans, olives, cheese, onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and chips. Toss to combine.
- In a small container stir together the dressing and salsa. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.