Curry Chicken Hand Pies are as easy as they are delicious! Game Day has never been more delicious than when you bring a batch of these Easy Chicken Curry Turnovers. These Curry Chicken Hand Pies are made with sliced chicken breast, frozen puff pastry dough, and a simple creamy chicken curry recipe and vegetable filling; pleasing even the pickiest party guests. So much flavor!
Curry Chicken Hand Pies
A delicious Curry Chicken recipe stuffed inside of flaky hand pies along with vegetables…you’re going to love this easy Indian-inspired appetizer!
Curry Chicken is a typical (and incredibly delicious) Indian dish and I’ve turned it into an easy-to-eat hand pies recipe! You get the amazing flavors of chicken curry inside of a fresh, flaky pastry that you can eat with your hands. No need for a plate or utensils. Just pick up this curry chicken turnover and dig in.
These Curry Chicken Hand Pies make a great appetizer, and they’re the perfect thing to serve on game day. They’re surprisingly easy to make, and you can make as many as you need to keep your guests full. These savory hand pies are so tasty, full of spices, vegetables, and chicken!
Learn how to make an easy chicken curry recipe, mix it with some vegetables, stuff it all inside of pastry dough, and bake! Easy and flavorful. My two favorite words when it comes to cooking!
Make these easy Curry Chicken Hand Pies as an appetizer. The flavors of chicken curry inside of a flaky pastry…so good!
Curry Chicken Recipe
This tasty appetizer starts with a simple chicken curry recipe! I love the spicy, aromatic flavors of curry chicken. It’s warm, it’s savory, and it’s full of flavor. I turned that into a savory hand pie because I wanted to get those classic Indian flavors into something that’s easy to eat and great for a crowd of people. The creamy chicken curry is a great place to start.
Easy Curry Chicken Recipe:
- Melt butter in skillet on medium-high heat
- Add carrots, onions, and celery to skillet & cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in curry powder & flour and coat veggies
- Once it starts to form a paste, add in chicken broth, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low
- Let it thicken for 1-2 minutes then remove from heat
- Stir in sour cream and curry chicken breast
At this point, you have a delicious, creamy curry chicken recipe to fill your pastries with!
Savory Hand Pies
I love these savory hand pies! Why should pies be left to sweet desserts when you could have a pie stuffed with chicken curry and vegetables to eat at parties, as an appetizer, or even as a main dish? Serve these with the perfect dipping sauce (like a mint chutney or curry sauce) and you won’t be able to put them down. They are so tasty!
How do you make chicken curry hand pies?
Once you’ve got the curry chicken recipe sorted, turning into a curry chicken hand pie is fairly simple. Use frozen pastry dough to make things easy.
- Cut the pastry sheets into 3″ round pieces
- Add 1 tbsp of the chicken curry to half of each pie, then fold over the dough to enclose it
- Use a fork to close the hand pies
- Combine whisked egg & water in a small bowl, & brush each pie with the mixture
- Lay them on a baking sheet & bake 18-20 minute
Easy chicken curry hand pies ready to serve!
Recommended Products to make this Curry Chicken Hand Pies recipe
What’s in curry powder?
Curry powder is a mix of other spices that you’ll find in a lot of Indian dishes. You can easily find curry powders for sale at most grocery stores, and that’s what I used for this recipe. Not all curry powder blends will contain the exact same spices, but most will contain a few main ones.
Curry Powder Ingredients:
- Chili Peppers
You might also find things like ginger, garlic, clove, mustard seed, nutmeg, and cardamom in curry powders. You don’t need to pick a specific one; they will all give you that traditional Indian flavor for this chicken curry hand pies recipe.
These Curry Chicken Hand Pies are so savory ans full of flavor. They’re the most delicious appetizer for game day or other parties, and they’re easy enough to make without too much hassle. If you like chicken curry, you’re going to love this recipe!
Watch the video or see the recipe below for details on how to make Curry Chicken Hand Pies. Enjoy!
If you like these curry chicken hand pies, you’ll love these recipes too:
- Vegetable Curry Recipe
- Tandoori Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Couscous Recipe
These Curry Chicken Hand Pies are as easy as they are delicious! Game Day has never been more delicious than when you bring a batch of these Easy Chicken Curry Turnovers. These Curry Chicken Hand Pie are made with sliced chicken breast, frozen puff pastry dough, and a simple creamy chicken curry and vegetable filling; pleasing even the pickiest party guests. So much flavor!
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup carrots diced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup sliced Curry Chicken diced (I used Boar's Head Curry Chicken, but you can use any flavor you prefer or even cooked rotisserie chicken)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 tablespoons water
- flake sea salt
- Add butter to a skillet over medium high heat. Toss in celery, onion, and carrots and stir to coat in the butter.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until veggies are tender and fragrant.
- Stir in the flour and curry powder and stir to coat. Once the veggies are all coated and a paste forms, stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Allow to thicken for about 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the sour cream and the sliced chicken breast. Set aside.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the puff pastry sheets. Use the bottom of a glass or a 3" round cookie cutter to cut out circles in the dough. The two sheets should yield about 18 circles total.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture to one half of each circle. Moisten the edge of each circle with a small amount of water, and then fold over the dough to cover the mixture
- and press to close. Use a fork to close each hand pie. Lay each completed hand pie on a greased baking sheet, about 1" apart.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a small bowl, combine whisked egg and water. Brush each hand pie with egg mixture and then sprinkle lightly with flake sea salt.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until crisped and golden. Serve warm.