Pepperoni pizza rolls are always a hit, and they’re so easy to make at home! These pizza pinwheels are made with puff pastry dough and baked to perfection. This homemade pizza rolls recipe is so tasty, and it makes a great game day appetizer.
Stuffed pizza pinwheels are the perfect appetizer for game day, tailgating, or any party. They make a great snack, or a quick lunch or dinner too. And of course the kids will LOVE these.
These homemade pepperoni pizza rolls are made with pastry dough, then filled with marinara, mozzarella, and pepperoni. They’re so simple, and easy to make. Just roll them up, bake them in the oven, and serve!
Why You’ll Love this Pepperoni Pizza Rolls Recipe:
- EASY: These appetizers are so quick and easy. Simple prep, then bake and serve!
- LESS THAN 5 INGREDIENTS: You only need 4 main ingredients to make these pepperoni pizza pinwheels!
- MAKE AHEAD: These can easily be made ahead of time, then refrigerated or frozen until ready to bake and serve.
- Pastry Dough: We use pre-made puff pastry dough (like crescent roll dough) for our pizza rolls recipe. I prefer it over regular pizza dough, and it gives these pinwheels a delicious texture.
- Marinara: You can use this homemade marinara sauce recipe, or any marinara sauce you like (homemade or store-bought).
- Pepperoni: I recommend using mini pepperonis so that they’re easy to stuff in, but you could also chop up regular-size pepperonis.
- Cheese: Use shredded mozzarella for the filling.
How to Make Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe!
- Preheat the oven, and roll out the dough onto a piece of foil or parchment. Pinch any seams in the dough so that it’s a solid sheet.
- Spread marinara sauce over the dough, then cover with shredded cheese and pepperoni.
- Roll up the dough length-wise, and wrap in the foil. Chill in the freezer.
- Cut the pizza roll into 3/4 inch slices.
- Place them on a baking tray, and bake until fully cooked and heated through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Pizza Roll Recipe Variations
One thing I love about these pizza pinwheels is how easy it is to change them up with different ingredients and flavors. You can stuff them with any and all of your favorite pizza toppings, and get as creative as you like.
Here are some ideas:
- Leave out the pepperonis to make plain cheese. You could also add another type of cheese to spice things up.
- Use sausage instead of pepperoni. Italian sausage or chorizo would be delicious!
- Make veggie filled pizza rolls, by adding diced vegetables into the filling. Try bell peppers, olives, or red onion.
- Mix in your favorite herbs, like oregano, rosemary, or red pepper flakes.
Once baked and cooled, store them in an airtight container or resealable storage bag. They’ll keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Yes, these are pretty tasty cold too! However, you should bake them first in order to cook the dough. But then you can eat them straight out of the fridge as you please.
These are best if baked fully in the oven. But you can reheat them in the microwave before eating.
These will take about 20 minutes to bake at 350F.
These pepperoni pizza rolls are such a fun appetizer, snack, or quick lunch. I keep things simple when I serve these. Just sprinkle them with a little parmesan and fresh basil, then serve with some dipping sauce. Use marinara, ranch, garlic butter, or any favorite dip.
These make a great kid-friendly lunch too. They’ll be asking for these every week!
- Leave a gap at the edge of the pastry when you add the marinara to allow for spread.
- Don’t go overboard with the fillings. Overstuffing your pizza pinwheels will cause the pastry to rip apart as they bake.
- Allow time to thaw your puff pastry to room temperature before using.
- Reheat leftovers in the oven at 350F for the best texture. If you’re in a hurry, you can reheat in the microwave.
Can you freeze homemade pizza rolls?
One of the great things about pizza rolls is the convenience of being able to pull them out of the freezer for a quick meal or snack. And you can freeze this homemade version too! Make a double batch so you have plenty on hand.
- After baking, let them cool to room temperature.
- I recommend freezing them briefly (about 1 hour) on a parchment-lined baking sheet, so that they don’t stick together as they freeze.
- Then place them in a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag for long-term storage.
- They’ll keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
- Then just reheat to serve.
Can I make pizza pinwheels ahead of time?
These are best baked and served right away, but you can definitely make them ahead of time if needed. And there are a few different options to do this, depending on how far in advance you need to prep them.
- You can prep the pepperoni pizza rolls by filling the dough with ingredients, and rolling it up. Wrap it in foil and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake and serve. This can be done up to 24 hours in advance, or the night before.
- Make and bake the pizza pinwheels as instructed, then keep in the refrigerator and just reheat to serve (or eat cold). This can be done a couple days in advance.
- Follow the instructions above to freeze them up to 3 months.
More Party Appetizers We Love
These homemade pepperoni pizza pinwheels are always a real crowd pleaser! Whether you are tailgating or enjoying game day at home, everyone will eat these pizza rolls right up.
More Homemade Pizza Recipes
- Pepperoni Pizza Gnocchi Bake
- Air Fryer Pizza
- Deep Dish Pizza
- Soft Pretzel Crust Pizza
- Pizza Sticks
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Pizza
- Mini Margherita Pizzas