DAIRY FREE QUESO is our newest obsession! This healthy queso made with cashews, nutritional yeast, spices, rotel, and more is SO shockingly delicious. You have to give it a try to believe it!
I know, I know…it seems a bit strange for me to post a healthy queso. I’m ALL about the cheese and you guys are well aware. But guess what…it’s a new year and that means we should all be open to making little changes that can make our lives healthier and happier! I have wanted to try a skinny cheese dip for some time, and I thought January was just the time to give it a whirl. This DAIRY FREE QUESO has absolutely knocked my cheese loving socks off and I hope you give it a try. From one cheese lover to another, it’s so refreshing to find a recipe that is healthier, doesn’t leave me with that stomach ache too much chips and queso can bring, and tastes absolutely INSANELY delish. You have to taste it to believe it! (Be sure you also check out the most popular Queso on our site, and pair it all with our favorite Chicken Tacos!)
My mom has been telling my brother and me our entire lives that we are just a little bit lactose intolerant. You know the feeling…you dig into a bowl of ice cream or a indulge in way too many cheese sticks and all of a sudden your stomach is hurting way more than it should. I have always just looked the other way, because I LOVE CHEESE. But finding a recipe like this Dairy Free Queso can be life changing because I don’t feel like I’m giving anything up! It almost feels like a lie…because it tastes SO much like my favorite cheese dips. It still has all the spice, tomatoes, cilantro, flair…but none of the dairy. None of the stomach aches. Like I said…you’ve got to try it!
There are two secret ingredients in this Dairy Free Queso that make it both healthy and delicious…cashews, and Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Yeast. The cashews add to the consistency, and the Nutritional Yeast fools you into thinking you’re snacking on hot queso. OBSESSED. Bob’s Red Mill just really has it all, and always knocks it out of the park for me. Have you ever used this product before? I hadn’t…but now I’m hooked!
This Dairy Free Queso is the perfect healthier alternative to all the big game tailgating we are all about to do. Bring this to any party and feel great about what you’re serving your friends…they don’t even need to know it’s secretly better for you! New year new US!
Serves 5 cups
Recipe inspired and adapted from The Detoxinista
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 2 cups raw and unsalted cashews, soaked in water overnight (or a minimum of 5 hours) (DRAINED)
- 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup water or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes (or tomatoes with chile peppers), fully drained
- Place all the ingredients except the tomatoes in a food processor or very high powered blender. Blend on high until fully smooth. For me, I did this in steps, stirring as I went and then continuing to blend until the consistency was like a cheese dip. Be sure you soak your cashews long enough to achieve the best consistency.
- Transfer the mixture to a small skillet or saucepan and stir in the can tomatoes.
- Heat over medium/low heat, stirring occasionally, until the "queso" is warm to your liking. Be careful to not burn the edges. You can also eat this cold, but I love how it tastes heated up.
- Garnish with more cilantro and serve with your favorite chips.
This recipe was written in a partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you SO much for supporting the brands that help support The Cookie Rookie!