Gardettos are my weakness for salty spicy snack mix. This recipe for HOMEMADE GARDETTO’S is a fun and easy way to make a delicious snack mix for your family! We love the flavor and that you can control all of the ingredients to make it just like your family loves it. This Gardettos Recipe is perfect for tailgating, homemade gifts, family BBQs, or holiday get togethers. No need to buy it when you can make it at home!
Gardettos are so much easier to make at home than you would think.
This Gardettos Recipe can get me through any tough day. In college I was OBSESSED with Gardetto’s. I would stay up late
procrastinating and popping this snack mix like candy. I probably could have learned a bit about everything in moderation, but they were just SO darn good! I never dreamed that I could make it in large batches at home so easily.
So often I look back and wish I would have started cooking earlier, but then I probably wouldn’t have this blog all about learning to cook. We already have a favorite Chex Mix recipe on the blog (Mom’s famous for it!) but now we have these Homemade Gardetto’s as an option as well. So flavorful, delicious, and easy! The spicy and salty combination makes this snack mix recipe all I need in life!
Move over Chex Mix, there’s a new favorite snack mix recipe in town!
How to make Homemade Gardetto’s:
We adapted this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Cravings by Chrissy Tiegen. Not only is Chrissy an amazing model and the funniest person on Twitter, she’s also an incredible cook. She compiled some of her favorite approachable and creative recipes into her cookbook and I love it SO much. So many fun and tasty options. These Homemade Gardetto’s stuck out to me as one I wanted to try right away and they took me back to college with the first bite.
Tips and tricks for making Gardettos at home:
You know those dark brown little chips in Gardettos? They’re just little spiced pieces of dried rye bread. We made a couple tweaks like using Gardetto’s toast pieces in the recipe instead of toasting our own bread.
If you’d like to make your own, you can use small wheat slices like THESE, cut them into fourths, and toast them before throwing them into the mix. An awesome option for sure! We just opted for the easiest path possible to making this recipe exactly like the original.
If you make an amazing snack mix recipe at home, you need some good cocktails to wash it down with. We recommend our Skinny Margarita, Summer Shandy, Champagne Sangria, or Party Punch if you’re serving a crowd. Game Day here we come!
Homemade Gardetto’s are a fun and easy recipe your friends and family are sure to love. They might even make you famous!
I hope this recipe brings you joy and calms your snack cravings! Hopefully it makes its way to your Super Bowl party, Christmas table, Summer BBQs, long road trips, and beyond. It’s one of our favorite ways to snacks to sneak into the movie theater :). It’s insanely good!
See the recipe card below for details on How to Make Gardettos. Enjoy!
Gardettos are my weakness for salty spicy snack mix. This recipe for HOMEMADE GARDETTO'S is a fun and easy way to make a delicious snack mix for your family! We love the flavor and that you can control all of the ingredients to make it just like your family loves it. This Gardettos Recipe is perfect for tailgating, homemade gifts, family BBQs, or holiday get togethers. No need to buy it when you can make it at home!
- 6 cups Chex cereal rice and corn work well
- 3 ounce pkg. Grissini Torinesi Thin Breadsticks broken into 2" pieces
- 2 cups Itty Bitty Minis Pretzels
- .5 cup butter 1/2 stick
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning dry
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon Seasoning Salt
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Gardetto Special Request Garlic Rye Chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Since this recipe requires two baking sheets, set one oven rack to upper middle and one to lower middle.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cereal, breadsticks and pretzels.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine butter, Dry Ranch Dip, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, seasoning salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Whisk well and cook until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir well and pour butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Stir until all dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Spread half of the cereal mixture, in an even layer, onto a baking sheet. Pour the remaining half over the second baking sheet.
- Place baking sheets in the 300°F oven and cook a total of 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, add half the Gardetto Rye Chips to each tray and stir.
- Rotate the baking sheets, top-to-bottom and front-to-back. Bake another 15 minutes. If the cereal isn't crispy, bake another 5-15 minutes.
- Pour the baked mix onto a clean dishcloth to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.