You have to try this homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe! Pure comfort food that tastes as good as it looks. A rich and creamy chicken filling, nestled under a flaky crust – so good!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
This savory chicken pot pie is really something special! Simple ingredients all come together into an incredibly yummy, savory pie. This is comfort food at its best. The deep and delicious filling is crowned with a buttery crust, oven baked to perfection – kids and adults will adore this!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
- A DELICIOUS FILLING: Chicken and veggies in a creamy, herbal sauce – this deep filling is so tasty!
- AN EASY PIE: Use ready made pie crust and frozen veggies – it’s super simple and super yummy!
- COMFORT FOOD: Loaded with goodies, this hearty dish is pure comfort food!
Homemade chicken pot pie tastes so much better than store bought! You’ll be amazed how a few kitchen staples come together to create this delicious dish!
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook your aromatics.
- Add your broth, seasoning, cream and chicken to the pot.
- In a pie dish, place the bottom pie crust, then the filling, then the top crust.
- Brush the top of the pie with egg wash and cook in the oven for 45 mins.
- Allow to cool for 15 mins then serve!
Use shredded or cubed cooked chicken for this pot pie.
Absolutely. Store-bought pie crust is a welcome shortcut, but use your favorite homemade pie crust. This is my go-to homemade pie crust recipe.
To keep your pie crust from getting soggy, be sure to adequately thicken your pot pie filling. If the filling is too runny, it will soak into the crust as it bakes, making it soggy. If your filling is nice and thick, but your crust is still coming out soggy, consider prebaking the bottom crust before adding the filling.
If you notice that the pot pie crust is browning too quickly, loosely cover the pot pie with foil halfway through baking.
Chicken pot pie is freezer friendly both before and after baking. To freeze unbaked chicken pot pie, assemble the pie completely, then tightly wrap in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. To freeze a fully baked chicken pot pie, let the pie cool to room temperature, then wrap tightly in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
A chicken pot pie is a meal in itself but you can always add a side or two. Here are some favorites:
- Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Parker House Rolls
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Fondant Potatoes
Whether on its own or with some sides, this chicken pot pie is a classic. It’s comfort food at its best!
Store leftover chicken pot pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
IMPORTANT: If freezing a chicken pot pie, do NOT use a glass pie dish. A glass pie dish will shatter if transferred directly from the freezer to the oven. Use a metal, ceramic, or disposable aluminum pie dish for freezer storage.
- Unbaked Pie: To freeze unbaked chicken pot pie, assemble the pie completely, then tightly wrap in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. To bake from frozen, bake in a preheated oven with the foil on for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue to bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown and 165°F internally.
- Baked Pie: To freeze a fully baked chicken pot pie, let the pie cool to room temperature, then wrap tightly in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat from frozen, bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until 165°F internally.
Pot Pie Variations
- Chicken: Instead of chicken, use an equal amount of shredded or cubed cooked turkey – a delicious way to use Thanksgiving leftovers!
- Veggies: Use 2 cups of diced fresh vegetables in place of frozen veggies. Feel free to use the veggies of your choice for more variation. I like broccoli and pearl onions!
More Chicken Pot Pie Recipes We Love
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Pie Crust Crackers
Once you’ve tried this savory pie, you’ll never want store bought again! Bursting with a creamy chicken and veg filling, it’s hearty and super satisfying. When you bite through that golden crust into the delicious center…pure comfort food heaven! It’ll quickly become a family favorite!
More Hearty Dinner Recipes to Try:
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet Pie
- Beef Pot Pie
- Shrimp Creole
- Cheeseburger Hand Pies
- Vegetarian Lasagna
- Beef Stroganoff
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.