This Ham Salad is a flavor explosion! Diced ham in mayonnaise with sweet relish, mustard and a host of other goodies. Great for an easy appetizer or sandwich filling.
Homemade Ham Salad
Make the most out of your leftover ham with this easy homemade salad! Great as an appetizer, party dip or sandwich filling, it comes together in a flash and is bursting with flavor. Creamy mayo mixed with tangy Dijon and sweet relish – delicious!
Looking for more Easter recipes? Why not also try my Easy Easter Bread Recipe and my Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb Recipe with Mint Yogurt Sauce!
Why You’ll Love this Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe:
- EASY: Made with leftover ham and kitchen staples, blitzed in the food processor, this is whipped up in minutes!
- VERSATILE: A party dip, appetizer, sandwich filling – leftover ham has never been so useful and yummy!
- LOADED WITH FLAVOR: Mayo, mustard, relish and a spritz of lemon juice make this dish so flavorful! You can adapt this recipe is so many ways too!
This recipe is perfect for leftover holiday ham! So simple and so delicious.
How to Make Ham Salad Sandwiches
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk your mayo, relish, mustard and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Pulse the rest of your ingredients in a food processor then combine with the mayo mixture.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ham salad is a great way to use up leftover cooked ham, so really any ham will work. I like to use leftover spiral-sliced honey baked ham for mine. I recommend buying a spiral-sliced ham because it’s easier to cut and remove from the bone.
You definitely can make ham salad with canned ham. While canned ham has a different texture than fresh, its shelf life and convenience can’t be beat!
I really recommend using either a food processor or a high-speed blender to make this recipe. You can make ham salad without one, but you’ll be mincing for a long time!
This is totally up to preference. Many recipes call for hard-boiled eggs, but it’s up to you whether or not you choose to include them in your ham salad.
An age-old question with an age-old answer! Ham salad is notorious for not freezing well, so I do not recommend that you freeze your ham salad.
If you want to slather this ham salad in a bun or sandwich bread you can make it a meal with some of these favorite sides:
Savory, creamy and tangy – this is one addictive sandwich filling!
Store leftover ham salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing ham salad.
Ham Salad Variations
- Swap out the red onion for diced yellow or sweet onion for a little less bite.
- Add diced bell peppers or carrots for extra crunch.
- Add a few tablespoons of jarred pimentos or diced roasted red peppers for depth of flavor.
- Toss it with some cooked rotini or macaroni to turn it into ham pasta salad.
- Add a little bit of pickle juice and pulse it for longer in the food processor to turn it into a ham salad dip.
Make It A Meal
Serve ham salad on hamburger buns or rye bread to make delicious ham salad sandwiches! Add a few slices of cheddar cheese and make a ham salad grilled cheese.
More Salad Recipes We Love
Let your leftover ham do more legwork with this super versatile and utterly delicious ham salad recipe! Whipped up in a flash, this can make an appearance as a dip at parties, or a satisfying sandwich filling – creamy, savory, tangy and so easy!
More Easy Ham Recipes to Try:
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Ham Fried Rice
- Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Ham and Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Ham Rolls
- Apple, Ham, and Cheese Frittata
- Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- Ham and Cheese Roll Ups
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.