This HASH BROWN POTATO CHEESE SOUP is an absolute Winter MUST MAKE! The ultimate comfort food soup made in minutes. So cheesy and delicious. Topped with sautéed carrots and bacon for extra flavor!
I’ve been in the full swing of soup season for MONTHS! We have made so many favorites; Classic Ham and Bean, Beef Tortilla Soup, Chicken Noodle, and Meatball Parmesan Soup. So much flavor…so little time! This Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup is one of the easiest and cheesiest of the season, and has quickly become a household favorite. There are tons of potato cheese soup recipes out there, but this one is special. it’s made with hash browns for a great consistency and simple prep…and includes sautéed carrots for an extra dose of flavor. You’ve got to try it to believe it. You’ll be addicted in no time!
You can make this Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup even heartier by topping with crumbled bacon, more sautéed carrots, and some salty crackers. The salt from the bacon and the crackers means you don’t need to add too much extra salt to the soup. The flavors just blend together so beautifully, the perfect soup for any chilly day. I love soups of all types and flavors, but this one is special. Easy, delicious, and packed with unique flavors. I’m telling you, those carrots are the secret weapon!
I can’t wait for you to try this Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup and let me know what you think! We have been eating it for days and I’m not even remotely sorry about it. Just so dang yummy!
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
4 based on 1 review(s)
- 6-8 slices bacon, cut into 1/8 inch slices and cooked until crisp. (Bacon is easy to slice when frozen.)
- 4 carrots, peeled, shredded
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 30 ounce package Frozen Shredded Hash Browns, thawed
- 6 cups Unsalted Chicken or Vegetable Broth or Stock
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (start with 1 teaspoon and add more if needed after adding the cheese)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or ½ teaspoon Cajun Spice (such as Emeril’s Essence)
- 1 teaspoon Fines Herbes (a mixture of chervil, parsley, tarragon & chives) or parsley
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 cups Grated Cheese; a mixture of Cheddar and Gruyere tastes great.
- Garnishes: chopped chives, crispy bacon, sautéed shredded carrots
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set bacon aside and add immediately before serving.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pan.
- Return pan to heat and sauté shredded carrots and diced onions until onions are translucent and carrots soften and begin to caramelize. (If desired, set aside 3 tablespoons of the sautéed vegetables to use as garnish.)
- Sprinkle flour over sautéed onions and carrots, mix well and cook 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings.
- See *NOTE if a smoother soup is desired. See **NOTE if you want to add broccoli or cauliflower.
- Add hash browns and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and milk and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Watch closely so soup doesn’t scald.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Taste the soup, and if needed, add more salt and other seasonings.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, chives, sautéed carrot/onion mixture.
- *NOTE: Directions to follow if a smoother soup is desired:
- Before adding the cream and milk, use a hand blender (or stick blender) to puree the soup, then add the cream and milk.
- **NOTE: This soup is the perfect base for adding steamed, frozen or roasted cauliflower or broccoli. Just add the vegetables when adding the chicken stock.