Hash Brown Potato Soup, or Potato Cheese Soup is an absolute Winter MUST MAKE! The ultimate comfort food soup made in minutes. This Potato Soup is loaded with cheese and made with frozen hash browns! It’s a delicious twist on a classic Potato Soup Recipe. So cheesy and delicious. Topped with sautéed carrots and bacon for extra flavor!
Hash Brown Potato Soup
Once I tasted Hash Brown Potato Soup, I knew it would be my favorite Potato Cheese Soup, EVER!
I’ve been in the full swing of soup season for MONTHS! We have made so many favorites; Classic Ham and Bean, Beef Tortilla Soup, Chicken Noodle, and Meatball Parmesan Soup. So much flavor…so little time! This Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup is one of the easiest and cheesiest of the season, and has quickly become a household favorite.
There are tons of potato cheese soup recipes out there, but this one is special. It’s made with hash browns for a great consistency and simple prep…and includes sautéed carrots AND bacon for an extra dose of flavor. You’ve got to try it to believe it. You’ll be addicted in no time!
This hearty Hash Brown Potato Soup will warm you up in no time. The best potato cheese soup recipe for fall and winter!
Potato Cheese Soup
This Potato Cheese soup is extra EASY, because it’s Hash Brown Potato Soup! No washing, peeling, and cubing potatoes in this recipe. Winning!
You can make this Hash Brown Potato Soup even heartier by topping with crumbled bacon, more sautéed carrots, and some salty crackers. The salt from the bacon and the crackers means you don’t need to add too much extra salt to the soup. The flavors just blend together so beautifully, the perfect soup for any chilly day. I love soups of all types and flavors, but this one is special. Easy, delicious, and packed with unique flavors. I’m telling you, those carrots are the secret weapon!
Tips for making Hash Brown Potato Soup:
- We have always found its easier to cook bacon crumbles by chopping the bacon while frozen! You can cut it into strips and then dice, and then toss in the hot skillet. So easy!
- If you prefer a smoother soup, use a hand blender to blend all the ingredients quickly together. Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup Bisque anyone?? :)
- This Potato Cheese Soup is SO easy to customize. It’s great with added chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, or even spooned over baked potatoes. The sky is the limit.
Recommended Products to make Hash Brown Potato Cheese Soup
Hash Brown Potato Soup is a must make for any soup lover.
I can’t wait for you to try this Potato Cheese Soup and let me know what you think! We have been eating it for days and I’m not even remotely sorry about it. Just so dang yummy! Easy comfort food?? My kind of recipe for sure. For more EASY classics check out our Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu and Easy Chicken Parmesan.
See the recipe card below to see how to make Hash Brown Potato Soup. Enjoy!
If you like this potato cheese soup recipe, try these other tasty soup recipes too:
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Healthy Crockpot Potato Soup
- Bacon Corn Chowder
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Hash Brown Potato Soup (Potato Cheese Soup)
- 6-8 slices bacon slices cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 4 carrots peeled, shredded
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 30 ounce Frozen Shredded Hash Browns thawed
- 6 cups Unsalted Chicken Broth
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt start with 1 teaspoon and add more if needed after adding the cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Fines Herbes a mixture of chervil, parsley, tarragon & chives or parsley
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 cups Grated Cheese a mixture of Cheddar and Gruyere tastes great.
- chopped chives
- crispy bacon
- sautéed shredded carrots
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set bacon aside and add immediately before serving.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pan.
- Return pan to heat and sauté shredded carrots and diced onions until onions are translucent and carrots soften and begin to caramelize. (If desired, set aside 3 tablespoons of the sautéed vegetables to use as garnish.)
- Sprinkle flour over sautéed onions and carrots, mix well and cook 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock and seasonings.
See *NOTE if a smoother soup is desired. See **NOTE if you want to add broccoli or cauliflower.
- Add hash browns and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and milk and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Watch closely so soup doesn’t scald.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Taste the soup, and if needed, add more salt and other seasonings.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, chives, sautéed carrot/onion mixture.
*NOTE: Directions to follow if a smoother soup is desired: Before adding the cream and milk, use a hand blender (or stick blender) to puree the soup, then add the cream and milk. **NOTE: This soup is the perfect base for adding steamed, frozen or roasted cauliflower or broccoli. Just add the vegetables when adding the chicken stock.