Delicious and hearty Loaded Chili Mac and Cheese is the perfect comfort food. It combines two incredible dishes in one, hearty flavor-packed beef chili and creamy mac and cheese. Bonus: It’s super easy to make!
The Ultimate Comfort Food
If you love beef chili and macaroni and cheese, then you are going to love this super-comforting dinner!
Loaded Chili Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food for a cold evening. Curl up with a bowl, top it with sour cream and scallions– and dig in!
And if you’re looking for a great chili recipe I have that too, check out my World’s Best Chili Recipe Ever!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- So easy to make! Only 10 minutes to prep, with simple ingredients from your pantry.
- Ultimate comfort food. This delicious mac and cheese is hearty, warming, and perfect for cozy winter nights.
- Loaded with delicious chili. Ground beef, perfectly browned, is seasoned with brown sugar, garlic, and chili powder, marrying up beautifully with the cheesy mac!
- Ground beef – I like to use lean, but any type of ground beef will do; just make sure to drain off any excess fat after browning.
- Onion – white onion, diced
- Garlic – fresh garlic for a strong and fresh flavor– although you could substitute garlic powder.
- Chili powder – add as little or as much as you like for a spicy kick.
- Dark brown sugar – adds a little sweetness and caramelized flavor.
- Diced tomatoes – try and use the best quality you can find for the best flavor.
- Chicken broth – homemade or store-bought (try and go for low sodium).
- Kidney beans – I used a combination of white and red kidney beans for this recipe.
- Elbow macaroni – my favorite pasta for mac and cheese but any short pasta shape will do.
- Cheese – use a grated, sharp Cheddar
How to Make Loaded Chili Mac and Cheese
- Brown the onion, garlic, and ground beef. Drain excess fat, if necessary.
- Add to a large pot with the kidney beans, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and simmer until it’s cooked through.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Serve it up!
What Toppings Go Well With Chili Mac and Cheese?
This meal is so hearty and comforting I only add a dollop of sour cream and freshly chopped scallions. It gives you the classic taste of beef chili– only it’s more indulgent!
You could also top the chili mac and cheese with extra Cheddar or some freshly chopped tomatoes for a little freshness.
If you want it a bit spicier, throw in a dash of hot sauce or you can use a habanero Cheddar mix.
Any Other Ideas to Jazz it Up?
What I love about this dish is that you can use up leftover veggies that you may have hanging around in the fridge.
Zucchini, bell peppers, and even squash all work really well in this recipe. Just cook them along with the onion in the first step!
You can also use different beans or add in things like carrots, peas, and corn.
The list and variations are endless and I can guarantee it will taste delicious!
How Do You Store Leftovers?
Refrigerate leftovers for 2-3 days and eat it cold or reheated as needed.
You can also freeze leftover chili mac and cheese for up to 3 months in suitable containers. Make sure to thaw completely before reheating.
More Mac and Cheese Recipes
Have you tried this Chili Mac and Cheese recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!