This easy, creamy, cheesy Crockpot Chicken and Rice recipe is pure comfort food! Shredded chicken is slow-cooked in a creamy sauce and covered with cheese. It’s perfect for a super satisfying weeknight dinner.
What’s in this Chicken and Rice Crockpot Recipe?
Tender chicken is mixed with cheesy rice and slow-cooked to perfection. Chicken and Rice is a classic comfort dinner, and kids and adults will love this easy, cheesy crockpot recipe!
- Chicken Thighs: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs work best for this recipe, but you could also use chicken breasts.
- Salt + Pepper: Enhance the flavor of the chicken.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Makes this casserole ultra-creamy and enhances the chicken flavor.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: Makes this casserole ultra-creamy and adds umami flavor.
- Chicken Broth: Helps thin the liquid to make the casserole the right consistency.
- Onion + Garlic Powder: Add a sweet and earthy flavor.
- Long-Grain Rice: Cooks to perfection in the crockpot.
- Cheddar Cheese: Makes this casserole gooey, cheesy, and delicious!
Pro Tip: Cook this recipe on high for 3-4 hours for the best rice texture. Cooking this recipe on lower heat for longer leads to mushy rice.
Variations on Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Swap one of the cans of soup for a can of cream of celery soup to change the flavor of your chicken and rice.
- Easily swap the chicken for turkey breast.
- Add veggies in the last hour of cooking, such as chopped carrots, broccoli, green beans, or celery.
- Swap the cheddar cheese for Parmesan cheese if you prefer.
Email This Recipe
Enter your email and we’ll send the recipe directly to you!
Instead of chicken thighs, use an equal amount of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
I recommend using a long-grain rice for this recipe, as that’s what it was written for. You can use other types, but they may need a different cook time. Avoid instant or cauliflower rice.
Instead of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups, use any combination of 2 10.75-ounce cans of cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or cream of celery soups.
Unfortunately, this chicken and rice recipe is not gluten-free due to the fact that most “cream of” soups contain flour.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover chicken and rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I don’t recommend freezing leftovers as cream-based recipes become grainy when thawed.
Reheat in the microwave in 30-second bursts until warmed through. You may wish to add a splash of water or chicken broth to help the rice steam.
This crockpot chicken and rice is a meal on its own, but you can certainly add sides. Some of my favorites include Sauteed Asparagus with Pancetta, Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli, Bacon Wrapped Green Bean Bundles, and Burgundy Mushrooms.