If you love traditional shepherd’s pie, you’ll love homemade Shepherd’s Pie Soup! This creamy soup is made for chilly nights – each bowl is hearty, cozy, and comforting.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Soup
Skip takeout tonight and make a pot of homemade shepherd’s pie soup! It’s easy to make, full of classic shepherd’s pie flavor, and loaded with veggies. My family loves this soup recipe (toddlers included!) and everyone always asks for seconds.
When you’re craving something hearty, satisfying, and downright delicious, give shepherd’s pie soup a try!
Why You’ll Love this Homemade Soup Recipe:
- EASY: Made with simple ingredients and ready in less than 40 minutes, shepherd’s pie soup is my go-to for busy winter weeknights.
- COMFORTING: It’s everything we love about traditional shepherd’s pie in soup form! Each spoonful soothes the soul.
- PLENTY OF LEFTOVERS: This recipe makes a big batch so you can enjoy leftovers for days!
There’s so much to love about creamy, cheesy, loaded shepherd’s pie soup!
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the beef. Once cooked, set aside.
- Sauté the onion, carrots, and garlic.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan.
- Stir in the cooked ground beef, half-and-half, potatoes, and sage.
- Bring the soup to a boil and add the corn and peas.
- Add the cornstarch and cheese.
- Stir until the cheese melts and serve.
Shepherd’s Pie Soup Recipe Notes
- Meat: I used 80/20 ground beef, but any kind works. Try ground chicken or turkey for something different!
- Carrots: Instead of fresh carrots, substitute a frozen carrot, corn, and pea mix. If using the frozen vegetable mix, add 1 ½ cups of it in step 7 when you would add the other frozen vegetables.
- Broth: Chicken broth is the base of the soup. Vegetable broth would also be delicious.
- Potatoes: Instead of baby red potatoes, use your favorite or whatever you have on hand – Yukon gold, russet, and fingerling potatoes are all wonderful options.
- Sage: Ground sage is an easy way to add herby flavor to the soup. Instead of ground sage, use ½ teaspoon of freshly minced sage.
- Cheese: Be sure to use freshly shredded cheddar cheese. It melts more smoothly into the soup than pre-shredded cheese.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the broth to create a rich and creamy soup.
Classic Shepherd’s Pie is a hearty and comforting casserole-style dish made with meat, potatoes, gravy, and vegetables.
If you’re serving a crowd, I highly recommend making a double batch of this soup recipe – just make sure your pot is big enough! You can also combine 2 individual batches and keep the soup warm in a crockpot.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the soup for longer-term storage.
Unfortunately this is not a soup that will freeze well. Chunks of cooked potatoes tend to get very mushy when reheated after freezing.
I love serving shepherd’s pie soup:
- With warm and crusty French bread or Saltine crackers
- In a homemade bread bowl
Shepherd’s pie soup is the ultimate comfort food that will keep you warm and full! Made with hearty ingredients, this will quickly become a family favorite dinner recipe.
- Be sure to fully brown the beef before removing it from the Dutch oven and setting it off to the side.
- Frozen, fresh, or canned corn and peas are all great options. Use whatever is most convenient for you!
- Instead of cheddar cheese, use your favorite kind of freshly shredded cheese.
As soon as the temperature drops, whip up a batch of shepherd’s pie soup! It’s cozy, flavorful, and packed with protein, fresh veggies, and flavor.
Can I use another kind of meat in this soup?
Yes! Instead of ground beef, use an equal amount of ground turkey or ground chicken. Shredded chicken would also be delicious.
What kind of potatoes should I use?
Use your favorite! Yukon gold, russet, and fingerling potatoes are all wonderful options. For something different, try sweet potatoes.
How can I make shepherd’s pie soup vegetarian?
For a vegetarian version of shepherd’s pie soup, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth and the ground beef with a plant-based alternative (or omit it entirely).
More Comforting Dinner Recipes We Love
- White Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
- Baked Ranch Chicken with Bacon
- Italian Stuffed Shells with Meat and Cheese
- Creamy White Chicken Caprese Lasagna
Enjoy a big bowl of homemade shepherd’s pie soup any night of the week!
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Try:
- Macaroni and Cheese Chicken Soup
- Tomato Soup with Cheesy Crostini
- Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Parmesan and White Bean Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Swedish Meatball Soup
- Cheesy Parmesan Meatball Soup
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!