Simple to make and hearty and cozy, this chicken wild rice soup is so easy to make in the Crockpot. Perfectly creamy and seasoned with thyme, this vegetable and chicken soup is the perfect way to warm your body and soul.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Made with fresh veggies like mushrooms, carrots, onions and celery, this creamy chicken breast soup is nutritious and filling, and most importantly, super tasty!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Rice Soup Recipe:
- EASY: This is a great dump and go recipe that is quick to prep. Let your Crockpot do all the hard work for you!
- NUTRITIOUS: Loaded with fresh veggies, this soup is high in protein and low in saturated fat.
- MAKE AHEAD: Make up a big batch of this soup and enjoy it throughout the week for easy meals.
This chicken wild rice soup ticks all the right boxes during the winter months. Hearty, comforting and so flavorful!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Add the chicken breasts and vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, wild rice and seasonings.
- Shred the chicken and add back to the Crockpot with the cream, butter and mushrooms.
- Cook again before serving.
This recipe is best made with wild rice, but brown rice can also be used. It’s best to avoid white rice for this recipe as it cooks more quickly and can become soft and mushy.
Wild rice is firmer than white rice, so while it will soften, it won’t be mushy.
I like to make this recipe with chicken breasts, though you can use thighs if you prefer. You can also make this with ground chicken. If you have cooked chicken to use up, you can add this to the pot when you add in the cream.
Yes! Soften the vegetables and brown the chicken and then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer til the rice is cooked, about 40 to 50 minutes.
If you want to make this soup ahead of time to freeze, it’s best not to add the rice as this can change texture quite considerably when frozen and thawed. Make the soup without the rice and transfer to an airtight container. It will keep well for up to 3 months. Thaw the soup before reheating on the stovetop and adding the rice.
This chicken wild rice soup is hearty enough to enjoy by itself, or serve alongside bread or a side salad. Try it with:
This soup is so rich, creamy and delicious and so hearty thanks to the wild rice, I know you are going to love this!
- Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Try adding other veggies like red bell peppers or butternut squash.
- This soup is simply seasoned. You can add in other herbs or spices like paprika, rosemary or chili flakes for a different taste.
This soup is so easy to make in the Crockpot! It’s so great to have a warming meal waiting for you at the end of a busy day!
Can I use pre-cooked rice?
For best results, it’s best to use dried wild rice. If you only have pre-cooked to hand, add it in towards the end of cooking with the cream.
Can I use noodles instead of rice?
Pasta noodles require less cooking time than rice. If you want to swap the rice for noodles, add them in when you add the cream so that they don’t overcook.
Can I use turkey instead of chicken?
Absolutley! You can use a turkey breast or add in cooked shredded turkey towards the end of cooking.
More Crockpot Recipes We Love
- Crockpot Swedish Meatballs
- Crockpot Twice Baked Potatoes
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Crockpot Spaghetti Casserole
This comforting chicken wild rice soup is so easy to make thanks to our trusty Crockpot! Hearty, nutritious and filling, this is sure to warm you up on those chilly evenings!
More Creamy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!