This Strawberry Buttermilk Cake is so soft, light, and moist. It’s the perfect dessert with just the right flavor! This fresh strawberry cake has just a hint of citrus from the fresh lemon juice and orange zest. I love the strawberry lemon flavor combination in this moist and delicious buttermilk cake recipe!
Buttermilk Cake Recipe
Buttermilk cake is so soft and flavorful! This lemon strawberry cake recipe is just heavenly!
Buttermilk Cake is one of my favorite desserts. It’s light, soft, moist, tender, full of flavor…it’s everything you could want in a cake. And this Strawberry Buttermilk Cake has the perfect strawberry lemon flavor.
I really just love cakes of all kinds, and I’ve got plenty of them to share here. Whether it’s a bundt cake, a pound cake, a poke cake, a cheesecake, or a cupcake, I can never have enough cake! This Lemon Strawberry Cake is the perfect addition. Fresh strawberries, lemon juice, buttermilk, and topped with a sprinkling of sugar, this cake is too tasty.
This cake is just so pretty and it makes things feel a little bit fancy. Serve this Strawberry Buttermilk Cake for an afternoon get together with tea or champagne, or just serve it for a nice dessert.
This Strawberry Buttermilk Cake is super soft, moist, and flavorful!
Lemon Strawberry Cake
The mix of strawberry and citrus makes the most perfect, sweet, light cake flavor. This Lemon Strawberry Cake has just a hint of citrus mixed in with the fresh strawberries, and none of it is overwhelming. It just tastes so light, a little bit sweet, and totally delicious!
What is the purpose of buttermilk in a cake?
There are actually quite a few reasons to use buttermilk in baking. Buttermilk makes cake (and other baked goods) extra soft and moist. That what makes this buttermilk cake recipe so good! It also adds a tangy flavor to recipes, which is great when you want something that isn’t overly sweet. It also has less fat than regular milk, which is just a bonus really.
How to Make Buttermilk Cake
Buttermilk cake are pretty easy to make. I find them to be quite simple and I love how incredibly moist they end up being. This Strawberry Cake is just takes a few steps and out pops a perfect strawberry lemon buttermilk cake!
How to Make Strawberry Buttermilk Cake:
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
- In another bowl, blend together the butter & sugar for 3-4 minutes, until it becomes light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs (one at a time), then the lemon juice, then citrus zest
- Mix sour cream and buttermilk together
- Add flour mixture, buttermilk mixture, and butter mixture into a bowl, alternating between each layer; start and end with flour mix
- Mix until flour is incorporated
- Gently fold in the fresh strawberries
- Pour buttermilk cake batter into baking pan
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes
The cake should not jiggle at all, and the top will look golden. Let the strawberry buttermilk cake cool before slicing. Serve with extra strawberries and sugar sprinkled on top! See the recipe card for full instructions!
Recommended Products to make this Strawberry Buttermilk Cake recipe
I’m so obsessed with this light and moist Strawberry Buttermilk Cake recipe! The flavor of this lemon strawberry cake is absolutely perfect, with lots of fresh strawberries and just a hint of citrus. You’re gonna love this cake!
See the recipe card for details on how to make this Lemon Strawberry Buttermilk Cake recipe. Enjoy!
If you like this strawberry cake, try these other strawberry dessert recipes:
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Shortcake Pie
- Puff Pastry Strawberry Tart
- Strawberry Basil Cobbler
- Lemon Strawberry Shortcake Cups
Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar plus ¼ cup for sprinkling later
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Heat oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 9-inch spring form pan.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes or until light and fully. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat the eggs in, one at a time, and beat in the lemon juice, lemon zest and orange zest.
- Stir together the sour cream and buttermilk.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternately, along with the sour cream/buttermilk mixture; begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Mix just until the flour is incorporated.
- Fold in the strawberries and pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Smooth the top and sprinkle with ¼ cup granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350°F 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The top should be golden, slightly crackled and should not jiggle.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow to cool 10 minutes. Run a thin knife along the edge to loosen any sticking edges. Remove the
- outer ring of the springform pan and cool the cake completely before slicing.