This Best Chili Recipe has been in our family for years. I’ve had a lot of chili in my life, from white chicken chili to vegetarian chili, and this is hand’s down the BEST CHILI I have ever tasted. Two types of meat, lots of beans, and loaded with cheese, sour cream, crackers, and more! You will want to eat this Best Easy Chili Recipe year round, not just the cold months. This isn’t just a good chili recipe, it’s the World’s Best Chili!
Looking for the Best Chili recipe? You’ve come to the right place. This Best Chili Recipe can win you every Chili Cook-off in the books!
This isn’t just a good chili recipe, it’s the BEST Chili Recipe. I was blessed to grow up in a family with Susie from Simply Sated as my mom. Lucky…girl. She spoiled us nightly with delicious meals and I can hear my dad saying “Everyone who thinks Mom made a great meal, hold up your hand!” I’m ashamed to say that I never learned how to cook as a young person, because I just preferred to eat what my mom was fixing rather than learn for myself. I mean, can you blame me? Have you SEEN her site?
Anyway, one of my all-time favorite meals from mom is her famous Best Ever CHILI! Nothing makes me think of home more than mom’s hearty and delicious chili. You guys are in for a treat today! (If you’re looking for the best ever White Chicken Chili, we also have that recipe for you!)
This Best Chili Recipe uses two types of meat for ultimate flavor and juiciness.
Versions of the best chili recipe have been in our family since my Great Grandma Lil would make it on Christmas Eve. It’s still a tradition in the Adee family today.
When I decided I wanted to FINALLY learn to cook (cough…at age THIRTY…cough), my mom drove from Kirksville to St. Louis to teach me the staples, and of course this BEST CHILI RECIPE was on the list.
We laughed at my lack of knowledge as she taught me her best tips and tricks, and she left my freezer full of all the best meals. There were many Tupperware containers filled with this chili. It got me through months of being a single social worker! (THANK YOU, mom) It was a weekend that inspired a life change, a passion, a new career, a LOT. Pretty awesome looking back on it.
This Chili Recipe is our version of a classic. The best chili recipe…EVER.
Like all family recipes, it’s every generation’s job to put their own spin on the classics. I called mom to discuss this, because it’s very serious business. We both agreed that sausage would be a great addition. This chili now calls for ground chuck as well as crumbed sausage, adding a delicious depth of flavor and heartiness. To quote my mom, “Delicious! If I do say so myself!”
I used Jimmy Dean Sausage, because, is there anything better than Jimmy Dean? It’s what I grew up on and it’s a brand that I can trust for quality. What more can you ask for?
This CHILI RECIPE has been made for holidays, week days, date nights, and every day in between. It’s even been made while tailgating at the Royals 2015 ALDS Championship game (Some of the best memories of my life!). I made fun of mom for cooking chili dogs in Kauffman’s parking lot, but they sure were tasty. Could it be the reason we won it all??
I hope your family enjoys this recipe in the future as much as ours has for years. It really is the best ever. If you’re wondering what to pair this World’s Best Chili with, we recommend Oatmeal Molasses Rolls, or going all the way and making the BEST CHILI DOG RECIPE ever as a special treat!
How to I make my chili thicker?
If you make this and end up wanting it thicker, just add a few tablespoons of corn starch or flour and some hot water. Thicken to your liking and allow to simmer while stirring. So easy!
What are the best kinds of beans to make chili?
We use black beans and red beans in this BEST Chili recipe, but you can also use pinto or kidney beans! I love the added flavors, colors, and protein!
How long will chili keep in the fridge and freezer?
If not eating, you should freeze or refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking. It can keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days, or in the freezer for 4-6 months. Awesome, right? The best ever chili recipe deserves a place in your recipe box and the chili deserves a place in your stomach!
If you’re looking for a quicker chili recipe, check out our video below for our 6 Ingredient Lazy Day Chili! Don’t forget to also check out our favorite White Chicken Chili with Cream Cheese, Crockpot White Chicken Chili, and Instant Pot Chili Mac!
See the recipe card for details on How to make the Best Chili Recipe Ever:
This Best Chili Recipe has been in our family for years. I've had a lot of chili in my life, from white chicken chili to vegetarian chili, and this is hand's down the BEST CHILI I have ever tasted. Two types of meat, lots of beans, and loaded with cheese, sour cream, crackers, and more! You will want to eat this Best Easy Chili Recipe year round, not just the cold months. This isn't just a good chili recipe, it's the World's Best Chili!
- 16 ounces sausage roll
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 pounds ground chuck plus water for cooking
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 ounces
- 1 cup water this is an ingredient. The water above is just for the chuck prep
- 1 can black beans 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red beans 15 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 ounce chili seasoning
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped onions
- hot sauce
- sliced jalapenos
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and crumble as it cooks. When almost fully browned, add the onion and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Drain oil if necessary and set aside.
- Place ground chuck in a Dutch oven and use a wooden utensil to crumble. Cover completely with water. Bring water to a boil and boil the meat until brown. Drain the beef in a colander and return to the dutch oven.
- Add the sausage and onion mixture to the ground chuck and stir to combine.
- Mix in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, both types of beans, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili seasoning, ketchup, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well and cook the chili, stirring often, over medium-low heat at least 1 hour or until chili has thickened and flavors meld. If it cooks down too much, you can add a bit more water.
- Serve with favorite toppings such as chopped fresh cilantro, chopped onions, cheese, crackers, hot sauce, sliced jalapenos, or a topping of your choice.
Thank you Jimmy Dean for sponsoring this rendition of one of my all-time family favorites. Thank you readers for always supporting the brands that help support The Cookie Rookie! As always, all opinions are 100% mine.
YOU KNOW WHAT CHILI WAS MADE FOR?? CHILI DOGS!!!