This MEXICAN CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER RECIPE is the ultimate Winter comfort food soup! Loaded with spicy tomatoes, green peppers, hash brown potatoes, garlic, onion, CHEESE, and more, this was an instant favorite at our house. Serve this cheesy chicken chowder with Fritos or tortilla chips and you’re in business. SO GOOD.
Cheesy Chicken Chowder Recipe
This Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder recipe is so perfect for cold weather.
OOOOOOO have I got a good one for you guys today! I’m so excited about this cheesy chicken chowder that I’m publishing it just one day after making it. I have quite a few other drafts in queue but this Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder got pushed to the front of the line. With the cold weather wreaking havoc on more than half the country, we are all in need of some good old fashioned comfort food.
I absolutely LOVE this Cheesy Chicken Chowder recipe because its loaded with really good ingredients:
- Juicy chicken breasts
- Diced potatoes
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lots and lots of CHEESE
- Onion (Pat didn’t even notice….shhh!)
- Diced green pepper
…plus there are plenty of other tasty ingredients in this cheesy chicken chowder recipe. But it’s also SO easy to throw all of this together to make a quick meal. Anything I can make in under 30 minutes is a-okay by me…especially when Henry is in tow. This one is a winner!
This Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder Recipe will warm you up with it’s cheesy flavor!
The Perfect Cold Weather Cheesy Chicken Chowder Recipe
Pat and I are supposed to be dieting for New Years Resolutions….but weekends are for breaking the rules!
This Cheesy Chicken Chowder recipe made for a great game day. Pat got to watch (so so so so much) sports and I got to just sit in the corner and chow down on cheesy soup. I can tolerate a lot of fantasy football talk as long as I have good food to keep me distracted.
I just love all the flavors in this easy soup recipe and LOVE the creamy cheesy chicken texture. Throw in some Fritos or Tortilla Chips and you’re really in heaven. So hearty and comforting. Just the way a good chicken chowder recipe should be.
How to make Cheesy Chicken Chowder
This chicken chowder recipe is so easy to make. All you need is 30 minutes and you’ve got a cheesy chicken dinner ready to go.
- Gather your ingredients
- Saute onion, garlic, & green peppers
- Add in the chicken, broth, and potatoes & let simmer
- Stir in the gravy, cream, Velveeta, and the rest of the ingredients
- Cook until the cheese is melted
- Serve warm with tortilla chips sprinkled on top
Scroll down to the recipe card for full instructions on how to make cheesy chicken chowder.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Chowder
While this is not a slow cooker recipe, it can be adapted if you wish. This cheesy chicken chowder recipe could be made in a slow cooker, crock pot, or Instant Pot.
If you’re looking for slow cooker recipes, try these instead:
- 10 Slow Cooker Soups & Stews
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
P.S. Can we also talk about those adorable enamel spoons? I DIE. You guys know I have a food prop shopping addiction, and these spoons were a must. They’re so darn cute.
Okay, back to what’s important: this MEXICAN CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER. I hope you guys love it as much as we do. I have a feeling we will be making this easy recipe again and again!
We’ve got plenty more chowder, soup, & chili recipes for you:
- Bacon Corn Chowder
- Best Chili Recipe EVER
- Best Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
See recipe card for details on how to make this Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder recipe. Enjoy!
Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder
This MEXICAN CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER RECIPE is the ultimate Winter comfort food soup! Loaded with spicy tomatoes, green peppers, hash brown potatoes, garlic, onion, CHEESE, and more, this was an instant favorite at our house. Serve this cheesy chicken chowder with Fritos or tortilla chips and you're in business. SO GOOD.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green peppers diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed (small cubes...bite sized pieces)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package frozen diced hash-brown potatoes 32 ounce package
- 1 packet country gravy mix 2.64 ounce packet
- 2 cups heavy cream or milk...but lets be honest...the creamier the better :
- 12 ounces Velveeta cut into small chunks
- 2 cans Rotel Tomatoes 10 ounce cans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream Fritos, or Tortilla Chips for garnish
- Add oil to the bottom of a dutch oven or stock pot and turn heat to medium/high. Stir in garlic, onion, and green pepper and allow to saute until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add in cubed chicken, chicken broth, salt and pepper, and frozen potatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. While cooking, stir together cream and gravy mix in a separate bowl and set aside.
- After 15 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through), pour in the gravy/cream mix and toss in the Velveeta, tomatoes, and cilantro. Move heat to low/medium and cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with sour cream, Fritos, or Tortilla Chips.