This easy Shrimp and Corn Chowder is loaded with flavor! Plump and juicy shrimp in a rich and creamy broth, brimming with all kinds of delicious ingredients!
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
Shrimp and Corn Chowder will warm your heart and bring a big smile to your face! This seafood recipe goes from pantry to table in 30 mins, all whipped up in one pot. The combination of flavors and textures is divine!
Why You’ll Love this Shrimp Corn Chowder Recipe:
- CREAMY: Chicken broth mixed with heavy cream means this chowder is hearty and delicious!
- A CROWD PLEASER: This easy chowder can be an appetizer or a meal, plus it’s gluten free!
- JUICY SHRIMP: The chowder is loaded with garlic and rosemary shrimp, so good!
This lip smacking shrimp chowder is perfect when you’re craving something warm, cozy and delicious!
How to Make Shrimp Corn Chowder
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook your shrimp in a large Dutch oven then set aside.
- Cook your veggies in the Dutch oven.
- Add your broth ingredients to the Dutch oven.
- Add your shrimp back into the pot.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chowder Recipe Notes
- Olive Oil: Helps the shrimp sauté so they don’t burn. Feel free to use your favorite neutral cooking oil.
- Shrimp: I’m using pretty large shrimp in this recipe, but you can use any size you have on hand. Just keep in mind that smaller shrimp will cook more quickly.
- Butter: Adds even more flavor when sautéing the vegetables, but you could use additional olive oil if you prefer.
- Veggies: We’re adding a classic mirepoix to this soup: carrots, celery, and onion. Not only because they add delicious flavor, but because they add substance as well.
- Flour: Helps thicken the soup to make a rich and creamy broth.
- Spices: Garlic and rosemary pair deliciously with shrimp, but you could use thyme if you prefer.
- Chicken Broth: The base of our soup. You could use seafood or vegetable stock if you prefer, but I like the mild flavor of chicken stock.
- Corn: I’m using fresh corn cut off the cob, but frozen or canned would work too. If you’re using frozen, you can add it directly from the freezer. For canned corn, make sure to drain and rinse it well before adding it to the chowder.
- Bay Leaf: Adds a subtle earthiness that pairs deliciously with the shrimp and vegetables.
- Heavy Cream: Adds creaminess to the broth. Feel free to add as much or as little as you like.
Chowder is a type of soup characterized by its creamy and rich broth, often made thick through the addition of heavy cream or milk.
Use peeled and deveined shrimp for this recipe. You can use any size you like. If using frozen shrimp, let shrimp thaw in the refrigerator overnight before cooking.
Raw shrimp is translucent gray in color. Cooked shrimp is an opaque white color with some pink and bright red accents and 120°F internally.
Yes, you can! Add frozen corn straight from the freezer. Alternatively, you can also use canned corn. Just be sure to rinse the corn before adding it to the chowder.
This is one of my favorite shrimp recipes because it’s easy to serve as an appetizer before dinner, or make it a main and serve with a variety of other dishes. Here are some favorites:
With it’s bold flavors and fresh veggies, you’ll want to eat this gorgeous shrimp chowder all year round!
Make Ahead Instructions
The chowder without the shrimp and cream can be prepared up to 1 day in advance. Prepare the shrimp and add the cream on the day you plan to enjoy the chowder for best results.
Store leftover shrimp corn chowder in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
There are endless ways to customize this chowder. Try these variations:
- Swap in thyme for the rosemary.
- Use seafood or vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- Add chopped mushrooms or broccoli in with the vegetables.
- Swap the shrimp for scallops, crab meat, or lobster.
- Add sliced smoked sausage, chopped ham, or chopped bacon.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes or serve with hot sauce to make it spicy.
More Shrimp Recipes we Love
Delicious, easy and versatile, this shrimp corn chowder ticks all the boxes! An easy seafood chowder packed with plump shrimp, herbs and veggies – what’s not to love! You can serve this as an appetizer, side dish or a main. However you decide to serve it you’ll be over the moon with the delicious results!
More Creamy Soup Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Bacon Corn Chowder
- New England Clam Chowder
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Corn Bisque
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.