Hot Chicken Salad Pie is comfort food at its very best. Baked Chicken Salad in a flakey pie crust and covered with cheese…what could be better? Our family LOVES this recipe! Chicken Salad Pie makes a great lunch on weekends, or any time you’re craving some baked chicken salad!
Hot Chicken Salad Pie Recipe
And then there is her Hot Chicken Salad Pie. It’s a fun take on a classic recipe– the ultimate comfort food. Hot chicken salad is baked into a pie crust and topped with lots of cheese for something absolutely amazing. It’s an easy chicken casserole. Yum!
This is my absolute favorite meal to eat on a chilly day, curled up under a blanket, watching reality TV! Pat isn’t a fan of my TV habit, but he indulges me if it means he can eat this Hot Chicken Salad Pie. Sounds like a good deal for everyone!
Why you’ll love this Baked Chicken Salad Pie:
- It’ll take you back: My mom adapted this recipe from The Blue Owl Restaurant & Bakery in Kimmswick, MO, and it is one of my all-time favorite meals. It’s cozy, hearty, and just feels like home. I have always loved chicken salad, and it’s even better served hot and baked into a creamy, delicious pie. Flaky pie crust, delicious chicken salad, cheese…so many of my favorites!
- It’s easy to make: packaged pie crust takes the trouble out of this dish. Just mix, fill, and bake!
- You’ll be the star of the potluck: Every time I take this dish to a potluck dinner, I leave with an empty pan. People want the recipe so they can make it for their families, too!
- This dish never lasts long when we make it, and it’s one of the recipes that’s made my Mom famous among my friends. I love serving it for lunch with friends, and the filling makes an incredible chicken salad dip for parties!
Find out how to make Baked Chicken Salad Pie for the cheesiest, most delicious lunch ever!
Chicken Salad Pie Ingredients:
- Yellow onion
- Lemon juice
- Sour cream
- Cream of chicken soup
- Water chestnuts
- Parisien herbs
- Black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Cheese (I recommend Cheddar and Gruyere)
How to Make Chicken Salad Pie – Step by Step
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat oven. Place the pie dough in a 10″ pie plate.
- Combine all ingredients. Pour into the pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle more cheese over the pie and continue baking.
- Take out of the oven and let the pie rest/cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
What Pie Crust Should I Use?
We love to use Trader Joe’s pie crust for Hot Chicken Salad Pie. It’s super flaky and it tastes just like homemade.
If you do want to make your own crust, check out our delicious homemade pie crust recipe. When I have time, that’s what I do, but pre-made pie crust is such a good option!
How Do I Make a Dip With This Recipe?
Oh yeah! The hot chicken salad filling also makes a killer dip all on its own. Just skip the crust, bake according to the recipe card, and serve with fresh veggies, pita chips, or bread. YUM! It’s a real hit at parties.
I like to double the recipe and make both–one pie and one dip. You won’t regret it!
How to Make Baked Chicken Salad Dip:
- Mix all ingredients together, pour into a casserole dish, and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot with chips or crackers!
You can also make the dip in a slow cooker. Simple heat on low until all the ingredients are melty and able to be stirred together. Serve with your favorite crackers.
Can I Freeze Leftovers?
Leftovers? I’ve never had any leftovers from this recipe, but if by some chance you do, I would not recommend freezing. There is a lot of dairy and mayo in Hot Chicken Salad Pie, and they will separate and get runny.
Instead, refrigerate any leftovers and reheat in the microwave at 50% power.
More Favorite Chicken Recipes
Be sure to try these other chicken salad recipes and some other cheesy chicken dips:
- Healthy Chicken Salad Sliders
- Mexican Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Chicken Tacos
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Chicken Wings
- Caesar Chicken
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!