This BAKED MEXICAN MACARONI AND CHEESE can’t be beat! No need to fool with a tricky cheese sauce when you have this secret ingredient making things extra creamy and delicious! Spicy sausage, green chiles, macaroni and cheese!
You guys know I love a good easy recipe! This Baked Mexican Mac and Cheese is the ultimate easy comfort food. It’s sure to please the entire family…full of flavor with none of the fuss! You don’t even have to make a cheese sauce or a roux…so it’s a total win win. It comes out of the oven so creamy, cheesy, and delicious, you’ll be surprised you didn’t slave away in the kitchen all day!
This Baked Mexican Macaroni and Cheese wouldn’t have nearly as much flare without my fave products from Old El Paso! I use their Taco Seasoning and Chopped Green Chiles (Baked Chicken Tacos anyone?) in so many recipes and they never disappoint. They make cooking at home flavorful and delicious every time. I can feel like a chef with very little effort. My type of recipe!
This Baked Mexican Mac and Cheese is layered with spicy sausage, green chiles, salsa verde, and cheese…LOTS OF CHEESE! You know I wouldn’t have it any other way! Utterly delicious and oh so simple!
Don’t you want to just dive right in to that cheesy goodness? This is the perfect simple meal to make for new parents, any get together, or easy dinner at home. Kids and adults will both be going back for seconds…thirds and fourths! Trust me. Pat and I could pretty much eat this all ourselves. Not good for the waistlines…
If you prefer a spicier version of this Mexican Macaroni and Cheese…you could always use hot sausage, stir in some jalapeños, or use pepper jack cheese instead of Mexican blend. The possibilities are endless!
Watch the video or see the recipe card below for How to Make Mexican Macaroni and Cheese. Enjoy!
Baked Mexican Macaroni and Cheese
This BAKED MEXICAN MACARONI AND CHEESE can't be beat! No need to fool with a tricky cheese sauce when you have this secret ingredient making things extra creamy and delicious! Spicy sausage, green chiles, macaroni and cheese!
- 1 lb dried rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces pork sausage
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 1 ounce packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 1 4.5 ounce can Old El Paso chopped green chiles, undrained
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 16 ounces 2 bags Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Diced cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray or line with foil and set aside.
- In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare the sausage.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium/high heat. Add in sausage and onion, crumbling the sausage while it cooks. When the sausage is almost cooked, add in the taco seasoning and green chiles.
- Once sausage is fully cooked, remove from heat and stir in the salsa verde. Set aside.
- Once pasta is al dente, drain and return to the pot. Pour in the sausage mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour half of the pasta/sausage mixture into the baking dish and top with 8 ounces of cheese. Cover with the remaining pasta/sausage mixture and then finally top with the second 8 ounces of cheese. No need to stir.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until fully melted and bubbly.
- Top with diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro.