These delicious crispy baked green beans make for the perfect cheesy vegetarian side dish! Made with fresh green beans and parmesan, cheddar and jalapeno cheeses, these are sure to be a hit with the whole family! A delicious way to get some veggies into your families diet!
I honestly don’t think there’s much better in life than a cheesy side dish! Decadent, crunchy and made with the seasons finest green beans, this colorful side is sure to impress your guests! Easy to make and delicious to eat! This is a great way to serve up your veggies!
How to make Cheesy Crispy Baked Green Beans – step by step
- Heat the oven to 400°F and line a large sheet pan with foil. Place the pan in the oven on the middle rack while the oven preheats.
- To blanch the green beans so they will keep their vibrant color, soften their tough exterior and help with moisture retention, fill a large saucepan with 3 quarts water and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring the salted water to a rolling boil. While the water boils, prepare a medium bowl with ice water and set the bowl on the counter near the saucepan. Place the green beans in the salted water and cook 1½ minutes. Immediately, use a slotted spoon to transfer the beans to the ice water and leave them submerged 5 minutes. Drain the beans, and pour them onto a paper towel-lined platter. Use paper towels or a clean dishcloth to gently dry the beans.
- In a large bowl, mix together green beans, olive oil, 1-teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Remove the heated pan from the oven and turn the beans out onto the hot pan. Cook the bean 5 minutes.
- While the beans cook, melt the butter in the microwave and add the garlic; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the breadcrumbs, garlic butter, cheddar, jalapeno and Parmesan cheeses.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and sprinkle the breadcrumb/cheese mixture over the beans.
- Turn the oven to broil and place the pan back on the middle rack. Broil the beans until the cheese is melted and begins to brown and gets crispy. Watch closely – breadcrumbs and cheese can burn easily.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the beans to a serving dish.
- Serve immediately and…
See the full instructions in the printable recipe card below for how to make these Cheesy Crispy Baked Green Beans!
A baked green bean recipe to feed a crowd
This recipe makes enough for six healthy side dish portions, and if you have more guests then it’s easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled! I always find that guests are more interested in the side dishes than the main event, and these beauties are sure to impress! Serve them alongside your main course and with other sides such as twice baked sheet potatoes, honey balsamic roasted carrots and homemade turkey gravy!
Cheesy Roasted Green Beans!
I love that these delicious cheese loaded green beans come together in so quickly and easily! They are best served straight out of the oven, so make these just before you are ready to serve. I used a jalapeno pepper cheese for an added little kick, but you can use straight up pepper jack if you prefer.
Healthy green beans
Green beans are a great veggie to feed your family with a tonne of health benefits. There isn’t a tonne of cheese on these beans, and if it helps the kids eat their greens it can only be a good thing! Green beans are super high in fiber and they are a great source of vitamins A, C, K B6 and folic acid, as well as calcium and iron. Oh, and did I say they were delicious too?!
Top tips for making Cheesy Crispy Baked Green Beans
- Use the freshest green beans you can lay your hands on for the tastiest side dish.
- Be sure to blanche the beans, this will help them to keep their vibrant color.
- Panko helps to keep the beans super crunchy, they are a much better choice than regular bread crumbs.
- Serve straight out of the oven for maximum crisp!
Be sure to check out these other delicious veggie side dishes!
Pak Choi with Garlic and Chili by Slow The Cook Down
Roasted Garlic Cauliflower by Damn Delicious