A good Cheese Ball recipe is a necessity at any holiday party. The mix of cheddar, Mexican blend, and cream cheese formed into a classic cheese ball, with a layer of toasted almonds on the outside, is just too delicious. Everyone loves digging into these at parties, so make sure you have plenty of crackers to go along with the best cheese ball recipe!
Cheese Ball Recipe
A classic cheese ball recipe is an absolute must at any holiday party. Serve this tasty ball of cheese with crackers on Christmas, Thanksgiving, or New Year’s Eve!
When I look back at holiday parties over the years, there’s one thing that always seems to make an appearance: A classic cheese ball! Everyone loves a ball of cheese covered in toasted nuts. It’s my favorite appetizer to dig into with crackers while sitting at a party.
The best cheese ball recipe is a blend of many cheeses (I used cheddar, a Mexican blend, and cream cheese), to create a soft, cheesy, flavorful mix. After forming the cheese into ball form, you roll on the toasted almonds or pecans for that beautifully crunchy outside layer. YUM! The perfect appetizer for game day, Christmas, or New Year’s.
This easy cheese ball recipe won’t take long to make, and it won’t take long to eat either. These always seem to disappear first at parties because they are just SO GOOD.
Make the best Cheese Ball recipe for your next holiday party, game day, or any other get together. Guests will devour this classic appetizer!
Best Cheese Ball Recipe for Holiday Parties
This is the best cheese ball recipe for all of your holiday parties. Whether you are preparing for a Thanksgiving feast, Christmas day, or a festive New Year’s Eve party, you HAVE to make a classic cheese ball to serve. This appetizer should always make an appearance, even if it goes fast. It’s such an easy thing to make, and it’s absolutely delicious! Serve it on a cheeseboard with an array of crackers and everyone will devour it in a flash. It’s the most classic holiday appetizer!
Looking for more holiday appetizers to serve? Try some of our favorites:
- Swedish Meatballs recipe
- Pigs in a Blanket with Cheese & Parmesan Ranch Butter
- Loaded Deviled Eggs recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots
- Fried Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives
How to Make a Cheese Ball
A classic cheese ball might look pretty fancy, but it is so easy to make. Just mix together all of your cheese, form a ball, and then roll on a layer of nuts. One of the great things about these is you can easily make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator so that it’s ready to go while you work on your the rest of your food.
How to make the best cheese ball recipe:
- Use a mixer or food processor to combine all ingredients (except nuts)
- Wrap the cheese in plastic wrap to form into a ball
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 24 hours
- Roll in toasted nuts
- Serve simply with crackers
You can store your cheese ball in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Just wrap in plastic wrap. If you want to freeze it, wrap it in plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil, then store inside of 2 re-sealable freezer bags. You can freeze it for up to 4 months, so you can save it for a future party.
Recommended Products to make a Classic Cheese Ball
This is by far the best cheese ball recipe for all of your holiday parties, game day, or any time you need a little cheese in your life. It’s easy to make and it’s the perfect blend of cheeses. You can even add in some dried cranberries or bits of bacon to the outside layer if you want to get creative. But I love how simple this classic cheese ball recipe is with just the almonds. Serve one of these and you will have a bunch of happy guests!
See the recipe card below for details on how to make a Cheese Ball. Enjoy!
If you like this cheese ball recipe, try these other cheesy appetizers too:
- Easy Cheese Fondue recipe
- Baked Provolone Cheese with Grapes & Walnuts
- Baked Brie Bread Bowl
- Whipped Goat Cheese Crostini
- Blackberry Thyme Baked Cheese
- Homemade Pimento Cheese
- ½ cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried chives or ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- ½ cup salted roasted sliced almonds or chopped pecans
- Mix all ingredients except nuts in a food processor or with a stand mixer until smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and form into a ball.
- Refrigerate the cheese ball at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Roll in the toasted nuts.
- Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to one week or freeze up to 4 months (see note).
Note: To freeze the cheese ball, wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Place in two Ziploc freezer bags and freeze up to 4 months.