If you are looking for an amazing cookie recipe for the holidays you are in the right place! This is the best M&M cookies recipe! Easy and straightforward to make, pretty to look at and a joy to eat! These giant cookies take less than 30 minutes to make.
Holiday season means cookie exchanges and sweet treats and these cookies are so festive! This is such a great recipe, even if I do say so myself!
How to Make The Best M&M Cookies Recipe
Heat oven to 350°F and adjust baking rack to middle position. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Turn mixer to low and mix just to combine.
Add shortening and softened butter, turn mixer to medium and beat 3 minutes or until lighter in color and smooth.
Add vanilla and beat on medium 30 seconds.
Add eggs one-at-a-time, mixing just until incorporated after each addition. Turn off the mixer.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and coarse salt and kosher salt.
Add flour mixture to the sugar/butter mixture and turn mixer to low speed. Mix just until flour mixture is incorporated.
Fold in 1¾ cup M&M candies.
If time allows, cover, refrigerate and let the dough rest 1-24 hours. If time doesn’t allow, the cookies can be baked immediately and are still terrific without the rest time.
Drop the dough, using a 2” scoop (about 1½ tablespoons), onto the baking sheets about 2-inches apart (12 cookies to a baking sheet).
Press 3-4 additional candies into each cookie.
Bake cookies at 350°F for 9 minutes or just until the edges of the cookies start to set and are a little firmer to the touch.
Place baking sheets with cookies on a cooling rack for 2 minutes, then transfer cookies directly to the cooling rack.
Enjoy the best M&M Cookies!
How do you know when the cookies are done baking?
These cookies don’t take long to bake, just 9 minutes, so keep your eye on them. Bake them just until the edges of the cookies start to set and are a little firmer to the touch. The edges should brown just ever so slightly. The cookies will continue to bake once they are removed from the oven and will harden as they cool.
Why this is the best M&M cookie recipe
- This recipe makes a batch of 30 cookies, so it’s a great recipe for a cookie exchange – lots to go around!
- Brown sugar is used in the cookies for a richer and deeper flavor.
- The dough doesn’t need to be rested if you are short on time.
- They are ready in less than 30 minutes.
The Best M&M cookies are perfect for all of your holiday needs!
If you are like me, during the festive period there are always cookies out for people! I like to have at least a couple of batches on the go at all times! Once these coolies have cooled to room temperature, store them in an airtight container and the will be good for about 3 days. You can also freeze the cookies and then thaw them at room temperature.
If you want a more chocolatey version of this, try these M&M Brownie Cookies.
Top Tips to Make The Best M&M Cookies Recipe
- If coarse sea salt isn’t available, use 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- If time allows, cover, refrigerate and let the dough rest 1-24 hours. If time doesn’t allow, the cookies can be baked immediately and are still terrific without the rest time.
- Let the cookies cool slightly before moving them to the cooling rack.
Be sure to check out these other holiday cookie recipes!
- Christmas Butter Cookies Recipe with Powdered Sugar Icing
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Movie Night Cookies (Popcorn, Reese’s, Junior Mints, & more)
- Best Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Chocolate Mint Cookies (Creme de Menthe Thumbprint Cookies Recipe)
- Saltine Cracker Toffee with Chocolate (Chocolate Saltine Toffee Cookies)
- 50 EASY Christmas Cookies to Make this Year (Best Holiday Cookies)