Nothing says summer more than a grilled burger and these caramelized onion Swiss burgers are everything! Simple to make and ready to serve in 20 minutes!
Grilled Onion Swiss Burger Recipe
Let’s be honest, there is never a bad time for a burger, and as it starts to get warmer out I’m so happy to crank up the grill for these beauties!
Simple to make from scratch, the homemade patties are topped with Swiss cheese and sweet caramelized onions for one tasty bite.
Why You’ll Love this Caramelized Onion Swiss Burgers Recipe:
Trademark Note: In the spirit of transparency, I want to note that some of these ingredients are trademarked products. McCormick is a proprietary brand that I want to acknowledge and give credit to.
How to Make Onion Swiss Burgers on the Grill
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Mix together the ingredients for the burgers and shape into patties.
- Grill on each side to your preference.
- Melt the cheese on top of each patty.
- Place in the buns and top with caramelized onions.
Can you cook them on the stovetop?
I love grilling burgers as it adds a great flavor to them, but you can easily cook these on the stovetop too. Just heat a little oil in a skillet or grill pan and cook on a medium-high heat on each side.
Can you make them ahead of time?
Yes, these burger patties can be made a day or two ahead of time and stored covered in the fridge. Just let them come up to room temperature before grilling.
You can also freeze the uncooked burgers. Layer them in an airtight container with parchment paper separating them and they will keep well for up to 6 months. I find it’s best to thaw the frozen patties in the fridge overnight before cooking.
What do you serve them with?
These caramelized onion Swiss burgers are perfect to serve with all of your favorite cookout sides. Try them with:
- Creamy Coleslaw
- Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries
- Potato Salad
- Shoestring Fries
- Confetti Corn Salad
All the Burgers
Guide to Cooking Burgers at Home
See all of our favorite burger recipes plus tips and tricks for cooking the ultimate burger at home.
- Don’t overwork the beef mixture or the burgers can become tough and chewy. Everything should be just combined.
- Don’t be tempted to press the burgers down on the grill or keep flipping them. Let them cook without constantly moving them.
- It should take between 7-9 minutes to cook burgers between medium and well-done, so keep an eye on them.
These caramelized onion Swiss burgers are so full of flavor and crazy easy to make. They are a true crowd-pleaser so be sure to make enough!
More Burger Recipes we Love
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.