The BEST burger recipes for summer and easy dinners. Whether you prefer beef, chicken, turkey, or something more unique, you’ll love these homemade burger ideas! Learn how to cook burgers on the grill, on the stove, or with an Air Fryer.
Everyone should learn how to make burgers! They’re perfect for parties and BBQs, summer grilling, game day, or even simple dinners at home with the family. I’ve collected the BEST burger recipes to give you some delicious ideas.
These homemade burgers will absolutely blow you away. Whether you prefer a classic beef burger, chicken burgers, cheeseburgers, turkey burgers, or more unique burger ideas, you’ll find something (or many things) here to add to your menu.
Simple Burger Recipes
Make a simple, classic beef burger with one of these 4 easy cooking methods. Grill, broil, pan fry, or cook your patties with an Instant Pot. Then just add toppings for the perfect burger!
- Juicy Grilled Burgers: Cook the perfect grilled beef burgers.
- Stovetop Burgers: Learn how to cook burgers on the stove with this easy recipe.
- Broiled Burgers: Make a classic hamburger in the oven.
- Instant Pot Hamburgers: This is such a quick and easy way to cook burgers.
Unique Burger Ideas
Take things up a notch with these flavorful, exciting homemade burgers. Unique and delicious toppings will make your mouth water!
- Caramelized Onion Swiss Burgers: These are grilled and topped with sweet caramelized onions, and melty swiss cheese.
- Pimento Cheeseburgers: Top things off with creamy pimento cheese and plenty of lettuce.
- Cowboy Burgers: These are grilled and loaded up with cheese, bacon, avocado, onion rings, and spicy mayo.
- Butter Burgers: Wisconsin butter burgers are richly-flavored and topped with cheese and onions.
- Smash Burgers: These are cooked in a skillet for perfectly crispy edges (like your favorite diner burgers), then topped with cheese and served on potato buns.
- BBQ Burgers: Perfectly grilled beef burgers, topped with smoky BBQ sauce.
- Juicy Lucy Burgers: Stuff the beef with cheese and cook these in a skillet for easy burgers any time.
Burger Recipes for the Air Fryer
Skip the grill and make delicious, juicy burgers with the Air Fryer. It’s quick and easy!
- Air Fryer Hamburgers: Learn how to cook a simple hamburger in just 15 minutes!
- Air Fryer Juicy Lucy Cheeseburgers: This beef burger is stuffed with cheese and cooked in less than 15 minutes.
- Air Fryer BBQ Burgers: Make delicious BBQ cheeseburgers in your Air Fryer.
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers: Cook the perfect turkey burger, quick and easy.
Non-Beef Burger Recipes
Beef isn’t the only way to make a burger! Follow one of these recipes to make a turkey, chicken, salmon, or veggie burger instead.
- Best Turkey Burgers: These juicy turkey burgers are made on the stove top, and they’re a super healthy option.
- Chicken Burgers: These grilled chicken burgers with with feta and sun-dried tomatoes are a flavorful idea for grilling.
- Salmon Burgers: These healthy burgers are homemade, fresh, and flavorful.
- Juicy Lucy Turkey Burgers: These are grilled and stuffed with cheddar cheese for a juicy, flavorful burger.
- Skillet Chicken Burgers: These ground chicken burgers are made on the stove, and they’re super juicy.
What are the best burger toppings?
Changing up the toppings on your burger is the easiest way to create something new and different. How you cook a burger is important, but what you put on it is just as important!
Here are some classic burger topping, plus some more unique and fun ideas.
- Cheese (classic cheddar or spice it up with pepper jack)
- Mayo, Ketchup, or Mustard
- Garlic Aioli
- BBQ Sauce
- Burger Sauce
- Caramelized Onions
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
These are the main things you’ll need in your kitchen before cooking these burger recipes. You don’t need much!
- Grill or Grill pan (for grilled burgers) *affiliate
- Skillet (for stovetop burgers) *affiliate
- Baking sheet (for baked/broiled burgers) *affiliate
- Kitchen utensil set *affiliate
- Kitchen knife set *affiliate
Burger Temperature Chart
What temperature should you cook your burger recipes to? Follow this quick chart!
- MEDIUM RARE: 130-135°F
- MEDIUM: 145°F
- MEDIUM WELL: 150-155°F
- WELL DONE: 160-165°F
NOTE: The USDA recommends that hamburgers be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F to ensure all bacteria is killed. So if you choose to cook medium/rare, be sure you’re using the freshest beef or even making your own ground beef.
If you want a printable chart to keep on hand in your kitchen, check out our Internal Meat Temperature Chart.
How long to cook burgers?
This depends on how you like them cooked and which cooking method you choose. Do you want them medium-rare, medium, well-done? Are you grilling, broiling, or cooking on the stove?
Here’s a quick chart on how long to cook burgers if you’re grilling or making them on the stove:
- MEDIUM RARE (Red in the Middle): 6 minutes total (3 minutes on each side)
- MEDIUM (Pink in the Middle): 7-8 minutes total
- MEDIUM-WELL (Smidge of Pink in the Middle): 9 minutes total
- WELL DONE (No Pink): 10 minutes total
Need some help learning how to cook your burger recipes? Keep these tips in mind!
- I recommend cooking your burgers Medium for the juiciest, most delicious results.
- When making burger patties, don’t overwork the meat or handle them more than you need to. And keep them cool until you’re ready to cook.
- For best results, flip burgers only once while cooking. You don’t want to keep flipping it over and over again.
- Generally, you should remove burgers from heat about 5 degrees before your desired internal temperature, since it will continue cooking slightly as it rests.
- Briefly toast, grill, or warm your burger buns before building it to add a nice crisp texture when you bite into it!
Learning how to cook burgers at home is simple. You can bookmark this guide and come back to it again all summer long. Better yet, you can make most of these all year round. And don’t forget the fries!
These are by far the best burger recipes, all the favorites I go back to over and over again. Let me know which recipes you tried!