Wondering how to grill burgers? Follow my recipe to ensure perfectly cooked, juicy grilled burgers every time! Get the grill fired up and impress your guests with the best grilled burgers they will ever have!
Grilling season is here and that means one thing…burgers! A well cooked burger is the star of any backyard BBQ, if they are cooked properly! This is my technique for crowd pleasing burgers every single time – I can’t wait for you to try it out!
How to make Juicy Grilled Burgers
- Divide burger meat into 4 equal, 5-ounce portions. Gently press each round (without overworking the meainto a patty ½-inch wider than the bun and about ½-inch thick (depending on the size of the bun). Gently turn the patty around while slightly pressing an indentation around the edge (kind of like pressing a moat inside the burger’s edge). This will keep the burger from developing a mound in the middle and keep the burger flat while cooking. Place the burger on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining portions.
- Generously season the burgers with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fill a grill chimney with charcoal and light the charcoal. When the charcoal is burning and is covered with grayish-white ash, spread the coals evenly over one half of the coal grate. Replace the cooking grate, cover the grill and preheat the grill 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grate after it preheats.
- Place the burgers directly over the hot coals, close the lid and open the vents. Cook the burgers, turning & flipping them often, until the center of each burger registers 145°F on an instant-read meat thermometer.
- Set the burgers over the cooler side of the grill and place a slice of cheese, if desired, on each burger and cook until the cheese is melted and the internal temperature reads 155°Transfer the burgers to a plate and cover with foil until ready to eat.
- Serve on toasted buns and serve with your favorite burger toppings.
Do you grill burgers with the lid open or closed?
For juicy grilled burgers, you should always close the lid of the BBQ and open the vents. This will ensure that the burgers are cooked evenly and all the way through. Keep the lid open when you are grilling quick cooking foods such as shrimp and vegetables.
Are Grilled Burgers Healthy?
Grilled burgers are definitely a healthier option than frying them as you are not adding any extra fat. I prefer to use meat with a 20% fat content to keep them nice and juicy, but if you want to cut down on calories, you can use ones with a lower fat content. You can use whole wheat buns to serve them for extra fiber, and load them with fresh and healthy toppings. One of these burgers with toppings is under 500 calories.
How to cook burgers if you don’t have a grill
If you don’t have a grill, you can also cook these juicy grilled burgers inside. Check out these guides for other great techniques to cook the best burgers!
Top tips for making the best Juicy Grilled Burgers
- The burger patties should be at room temperature before putting them on the grill.
- The grill should be pre-heated.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the burgers are cooked through.
- Serve with our favorite Burger Sauce!
Be sure to try these other tasty burger recipes!
- Baked Cheeseburger Sliders (Cheeseburgers for a Crowd)
- Best Turkey Burger Recipe
- Chicken Burgers with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomato
- Wisconsin Butter Burgers
- Baked Cheeseburger Sliders
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- Smash Burgers
I seriously can’t wait for you guys to try this technique to cook your burgers this summer – juicy grilled burgers for everyone! Delicious, juicy and packed full of flavor – the only tricky thing is to decide which toppings to pile on! Add some homemade fries with fry sauce and you’re set!
Check out our guide to the Best Burger Recipes to learn more about cooking the perfect burgers!