Filled with ground beef and vegetables, Savory Hamburger Soup is the best meal for cold winter days! It’s hearty and delicious, makes 4 servings, and is ready in just 35 minutes.
What’s in Vegetable Beef Soup?
This savory dish contains large chunks of hamburger meat and vegetables, making it the perfect hearty soup recipe. Here’s a rundown of the ingredients:
- Ground Beef: A great easy way to add protein and meaty flavor to this soup. I recommend a lean ground beef so the broth doesn’t get too greasy. If you use 80/20 ground beef, make sure to drain any excess grease before moving to step 3. If you don’t have ground beef on hand, ground pork or Italian sausage would also work!
- Onion and Garlic: Add great flavor to the soup!
- Tomato Paste: Enhances the flavor of the diced tomatoes in the broth.
- Italian Seasoning: Adds herbaceousness to the soup.
- Beef Broth: The base of our soup. I’m using beef broth because it’s rich and has great depth of flavor, but you could also use water or chicken broth.
- Diced Tomatoes: Add a bit of sweetness and acidity to the soup. Feel free to use regular or fire-roasted tomatoes!
- Potato: I’m adding a diced russet potato for even more texture and substance but Yukon gold or red potatoes would also work– or substitute the potato for ditalini or macaroni!
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables: A great shortcut for this soup! The mixture I’m using has carrots, corn, peas, and green beans.
Pro Tip: Add some pasta in during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time!
How to Thicken Beef Vegetable Soup
To thicken the soup, you can add another tablespoon of tomato paste or a slurry made from 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Return the pot to a boil and let thicken for 1-2 minutes.
Absolutely! You can swap the ground beef for an equal amount of ground turkey or chicken! Or, try ground pork or Italian sausage!
You sure can! Simply brown the ground beef, sauté the vegetables, and throw all of the ingredients in your crockpot for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low, until the potatoes are tender.
The tomato paste should help to thicken up the soup. To thicken it further, you can add another tablespoon of tomato paste or a slurry made from 3 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Return the pot to a boil and let thicken for 1-2 minutes.
Yes! Add the pasta in during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time (according to the package) or boil it in a separate pot according to the package and then add it in after the soup has finished cooking.
How to Store and Reheat Hamburger Vegetable Soup
Hamburger soup is a great make-ahead recipe, as the flavor continues to develop as it sits. Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave.
How to Freeze Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
Freeze hamburger soup whole or in individual portions in airtight containers or Ziplock bags for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with Beef and Vegetable Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup is a great recipe for weeknight dinners because it’s easy to make and sure to become a quick family favorite! This comforting soup recipe uses fresh ingredients to create a meal that even a picky eater would enjoy. Top with croutons or crackers or serve alongside crusty bread, dinner rolls, or cornbread muffins!
More Ground Beef Soup Recipes We Love
- Easy Taco Soup
- Lazy Day Chili
- Instant Pot Lasagna soup
- Cheesy Meatball Parmesan Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Crockpot Cabbage Roll Soup