These simple Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies are a MUST MAKE recipe for Christmas! Holiday baking has never been so easy or delicious! I made these for Christmas but I make them year round. They’re amazingly delicious!
For those of you that have been around for the ride since the beginning of The Cookie Rookie, you know that I have come a long way. I don’t claim to be a master chef by any means, but when I started out I could barely boil water. Even though I feel like I’ve learned so much over these 3 years, I still don’t feel totally comfortable with baking. You bakers out there, I RESPECT YOU! It’s a different ball-game and I recognize that! That being said, I conquered these Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies and they are SO DELICIOUS. It was a struggle to not eat them all before Pat got home. The struggle is real.
I adapted this recipe from the ridiculously amazing site, Chocolate Chocolate and More. If you’re looking for a baking recipe, that is the site to check first. Joan’s Brownie Bottom Cheesecake Bars were calling my name and I knew I had to give them a try! You can find her original recipe HERE.
These are just perfect for Christmas, but are also delicious year round. You could substitute so many flavors for the peppermint, making this a must make for every occasion! I would love to hear your creative adaptations!
Watch the video or see the recipe card for How to Make Peppermint Cheesecake Brownies.
20 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- ***If you're in a pinch, you can use boxed brownie mix in place of above ingredients***
- 1/2 cup peppermint crunch baking chips or crushed candy canes (if crushing the candy canes, place in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin over the sealed bag)
- 16 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups peppermint crunch baking chips (or crushed candy canes), divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Beat together eggs sugar, butter and vanilla. Stir until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and carefully stir until fully combined. Stir in the peppermint chips.
- Pour the brownie mixture into your baking dish. Smooth out the top and spread the mixture to the edges.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. This won't fully cook the brownies, but a film will begin to bake on top.
- While brownies are baking prepare cheesecake layer.
- In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, and peppermint extract. Beat until fully combined.
- While the mixer is on, add the eggs one at a time. Beat fully in between each egg. Add in 1/2 cup peppermint crunch baking chips and stir until just combined.
- Pour mixture on top of pre baked brownie bottom, smoothing to completely cover the brownie layer. Top with remaining 1 cup peppermint crunch baking chips, making a solid layer of the chips if possible.
- Place baking dish back in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until center no longer wobbles and the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Once cool, place in the refrigerator until serving, at least 2 hours. Cut and serve! Enjoy!