Loaded Potato Skins are an all time classic and for good reason! These super crispy potato skins are topped with chopped bacon, cheese, sour cream and chives – so easy and and perfect for Game Day!
Best Potato Skins Recipe
Ultra crispy and loaded with goodies, these Potato Skins are perfect for parties, movie night, game day – any time really! These skins are crowned with melty cheese, salty bacon and cooling sour cream, so easy and so addictive.
Why you’ll love this Loaded Potato Skins recipe:
- Crispy Potato Skins: Baked twice, these skins really deliver on the crunch!
- Loaded with savory goodies: Chopped bacon, melted cheese and sour cream – a classic and delicious mix!
- An easy appetizer: Easy to prep with only a handful of ingredients needed, you can whip up a big batch without breaking a sweat!
How to make these Loaded Potato Skins
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Bake the salted potatoes for 45-60 mins. Allow to cool.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet and chop into pieces.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters, scoop out most of the flesh then bake for another 15 mins.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bacon and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Add on a dollop of sour cream, top with scallions, serve and enjoy!
Can you prep these potato skins ahead of time?
Yes indeed! You can bake, quarter and scoop out the flesh in advance then allow to cool and freeze. When ready, bake from frozen until heated through and add toppings.
What are the best potatoes for potato skins?
When choosing your potatoes, it’s best to choose smaller Russet potatoes. Smaller potatoes work well because they will be easier to serve as a handheld snack, plus they’ll hold their shape better than larger potatoes.
Other topping ideas
I’ve kept things classic with bacon, cheese and sour cream – it’s easy and delicious, but you can of course opt for other toppings, the sky’s the limit! You could go for shredded pork, chicken or taco beef. You can make things vegetarian by removing the bacon and adding more cheese.
If you want a Mexican twist why not try my Mexican Potato Skins Recipe.
- Use a preheated oven.
- Ideally avoid using pre-shredded cheddar cheese as it is coated in anti caking agents and doesn’t melt well.
- Serve with your favorite dips, like salsa, honey mustard or hot sauce.
More Appetizers We Love
Game Day is covered!
101+ Super Bowl Appetizer Recipes
If its game day grub you crave, we have all the recipes you need to win big! Check out our easy Super Bowl recipes (or World Series, March Madness, National Championship, you get the idea!)
More Game Day Recipes we Love
- Beer and Pretzel Chicken Wings
- Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Rotel Dip (Loaded Velveeta Cheese Dip)
- Turkey Cheese Sliders
- Homemade Nacho Cheese
- Philly Cheesesteak Dip
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!