These Homemade Pretzel Dogs are so easy and so delicious! Hot dogs wrapped in an easy bread dough make the perfect appetizer for parties and game day.
- Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Why You’ll Love this Pretzel Dog Recipe:
- How to Make Pretzel Dogs
- Recipe Notes
- Serving Suggestions
- Make Ahead Instructions
- Storage Instructions
- Freezing Instructions
- Pretzel Dog Hack
- More Game Day Appetizers We Love
- More Kid-Friendly Beef Recipes to Try:
- Pretzel Dogs Recipe
- Email This Recipe
- Recommended Equipment
- Becky’s tips
- Nutrition Information
Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs
Pretzel dogs are the delicious combination of salty, chewy soft pretzels and juicy hot dogs – what’s not to love! Ditch the mall bought versions and rustle up this yummy appetizer at home. They make for a delicious lunch, dinner or party snack. Make up a big batch and kids and adults will flock to them!
Why You’ll Love this Pretzel Dog Recipe:
- CRISPY: The chewy pretzel dough gets perfectly crispy when baked.
- SAVORY: Salted pretzel dough surrounding a savory beef hot dog – so good!
- EASY: The dough is easy to make and wrap around store bought hot dogs.
These pretzel wrapped hot dogs are so fun. They look great and they’re delicious! Always a hit on game day or with the kids.
Email This Recipe
Enter your email and we’ll send the recipe directly to you!
How to Make Pretzel Dogs
You can jump to the recipe card for full ingredients & instructions!
- Mix your dough ingredients and allow to rise.
- Once risen, cut the dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll the pieces of dough into rope shapes and wrap each hot dog.
- Cook the pretzel dogs in a pot of boiling water.
- Brush the pretzels with egg wash, sprinkle with salt and bake for 20 mins.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Water: Gives the pretzel dough moisture. Make sure it’s warm so the yeast blooms properly.
- Brown Sugar: Acts as food for the yeast. Granulated sugar or honey could be used if you prefer.
- Yeast: I’m using active dry yeast! If you use instant yeast, skip step 1 and simply mix all of the ingredients together at once.
- Flour: Gives the pretzels structure. If your dough feels especially wet, you can add up to ¼ cup additional flour.
- Salt: Kosher salt enhances the flavor of the dough. I highly recommend kosher salt, not table salt.
- Hot Dogs: I’m using classic all-beef hot dogs!
- Baking Soda: Helps create that crisp pretzel-like exterior we all love!
- Egg: Helps the salt stick to the pretzels but it also helps the pretzels brown in the oven.
Pretzel dogs and pigs in a blanket are prepared nearly the same; however, pretzel dogs are wrapped in pretzel dough, and pigs in a blanket are wrapped in plain or croissant dough.
I love all-beef hot dogs for their classic taste, but you can use beef and pork, pork, or even chicken hot dogs. I recommend using your favorite brand of hot dogs so you know you’ll love them!
You sure can! Wheat flour tends to be more dense than white, so you may need to add extra water to the dough to keep it from being too thick and heavy.
To bloom yeast means to dissolve it in warm liquid (often with a little bit of sugar) and leave it for a few minutes, or until foamy. Proofing yeast ensures that it is alive and vigorous enough to make your dough rise.
To make pretzel dogs into mini pretzel dogs, cut the hot dogs into 3 or 4 small pieces, then wrap them in smaller pieces of pretzel rope. Boil, then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Yes, you can! Brush the air fryer basket with olive oil, then place the dogs a few inches apart to leave room for expansion (you may need to cook in batches). Heat the air fryer to 390°F and bake for about 7 minutes, or until lightly browned, flipping halfway through if desired.
These easy pretzel dogs are made for dipping. Here are some tasty sauce recipes!
- One of my favorite dipping sauces for pretzel dogs is a spicy honey mustard! Mix ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup grainy mustard, and a dash of hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Fry Sauce
- Chick Fil A Sauce
Dip, dunk, smother – there’s so many yummy dipping sauces to try!
Make Ahead Instructions
Pretzel dogs can be made up to 1 day in advance of when you plan to serve them. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat in a 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes.
Store leftover pretzel dogs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in a 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes.
Freeze pretzel dogs in a single layer on a lined baking sheet until solid. Then, transfer to an airtight container or Ziplock bag and store for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Try switching up the hot dogs for sausages, cheese-stuffed brats, or vegan hot dogs!
- Try topping the pretzels with granulated garlic or everything bagel seasoning.
Pretzel Dog Hack
For a time-saving hack, wrap the hot dogs in store-bought pizza dough. Start the recipe at step 5.
More Game Day Appetizers We Love
- Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots
- Trashed Wings
- Pizza Bagels
- Bacon Cheese Fries with Ranch
Simple and delicious – these pretzel dogs are that perfect combination of crispy, juicy and savory! They’ll become a firm favorite with kids and adults. Great as part of a meal or as a party snack, use your favorite hot dogs and whip these bad boys up in no time!
More Kid-Friendly Beef Recipes to Try:
- Stovetop Burgers
- Slow Cooker Beef Tacos
- Beef Lo Mein
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy! You can also jump to recipe.