This slow cooker cashew chicken, is an easy and delicious dinner everyone can enjoy! Instead of ordering out, make this in your crockpot effortlessly. You won’t be sorry! If you don’t own a slow cooker, check out my cashew chicken recipe made in a skillet.
Crockpot Cashew Chicken
This slow cooker cashew chicken recipe is the easiest way to get your Chinese takeout fix minus the guilt or bloated feeling afterward!
This recipe is made with simple and easy ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen and what’s even better is that there is basically zero prep time involved apart from browning chicken…and if you consider that work you are lazier than me (and that’s saying something!).
Don’t have a slow cooker? Follow this Cashew Chicken recipe instead!
Why you will love this recipe!
- Simple ingredients: Most of the ingredients on this list are store cupboard ingredients such as ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce and vinegar so it couldn’t be easier and they all add a TON of flavor.
- Easy: This is a true dump and go recipe that is loaded with flavor and so effortless to make!
- Make ahead: Not only can you set this to go earlier in the day for a tasty dinner, but it’s perfect for weekly meal prep and freezer friendly too!
How to make slow cooker cashew chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Brown the chicken in the skillet.
- Add all of the ingredients to the Crockpot (except for the cashews) and stir to combine.
- Once done cooking, stir in the cashews. and enjoy!
Can you make it ahead of time?
Once you have made your slow cooker cashew chicken, it will be safe to keep it on warm mode for up to 2 hours. Once cooled, store covered in the fridge and it will keep well for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop to warm through to serve.
Can you freeze it?
Yes! This is a great freezer meal recipe and will keep well for up to 6 months. Let it cool completely before freezing in air tight containers or sealable bags. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
What to Serve with Cashew Chicken
I love to serve my cashew chicken with rice, scallions and an extra sprinkling of cashews on the top it’s simple and delicious! Other sides that would go well is steamed broccoli or any roasted or steamed veggies or Asian Noodles.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Don’t be tempted to add more liquid it doesn’t seem like much in the slow cooker but it’s enough
- You can also use chicken thighs in the recipe (boneless and skinless)
- Make sure to add the cashews in at the end so they have crunch and bite to them
- Add more or less red pepper flakes to your preference
- Use this as an easy meal prep recipe and portion it out for dinner every night.
- A few essential flavors here are ginger, garlic and vinegar so try not to skip those and don’t sub them for ground garlic or ginger you just won’t get the same authentic taste.
- Water chestnuts are optional but they add freshness and texture! I don’t know why I love them so much in Cashew Chicken, but I feel they’re a must. Extra crunch is never a problem!
More Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake
- Crockpot Italian Chicken
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Baked Lemon Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Teriyaki Chicken Sub Sandwich
- Chicken Dijon in White Wine Sauce
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!